Two men who left Aberdeen beautician permanently disfigured after dropping sofa on her from roof avoid jail

Two men who caused “severe injury, permanent disfigurement and impairment” to a beautician when they dropped a sofa on her from a roof have been ordered to pay a combined total of £15,000.

Barrie Law, 27, and Lee Morrison, 33, were at Aberdeen Sheriff Court on Monday having previously admitted the single charge of culpable and reckless conduct.

The incident on December 7 2019 saw the pair trying to remove a sofa from Law’s flat in Aberdeen and dropping it from the roof of Nailco Nail Bar.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The court was told this method was chosen as they could not find another way to manoeuvre it out of the property.

Read More

Read More
Neil Tait: Concerns grow for the welfare of missing Aberdeen man

It was heard they had checked to see if anyone was in the area below before dropping it from a height of five metres.

However, the furniture struck Edita Butkeveiciute who was outside at the time.

Fiscal depute Colin Neilson said: “She wasn’t aware of what happened, she woke up screaming.”

Edita Butkeviciute said she is "lucky to be alive" after two men badly injured her when dropping a sofa from a roof (Credit: BBC)

The charge states the impact has caused her “severe injury, permanent disfigurement and impairment”.

It was heard she is still unable to sit for more than 40 minutes, suffers panic attacks near tall buildings, flashbacks and has had her ability to sleep affected.

George Mathers, representing Law, said the incident would “haunt” his client for the rest of his life and he was extremely sorry for his conduct.

He said: “When they saw the woman, he got absolutely the shock of his life. He thought she was dead, he was shaken to the core.

Edita Butkeviciute, now 31, said the impact has caused her “severe injury, permanent disfigurement and impairment”. (Credit: BBC)

“He feels so guilt-ridden about what he was done.”

Mr Mathers added: “This will haunt him for the rest of his life.”

Debbie Ginniver, representing Morrison, said: “Mr Morrison certainly didn’t intend for anyone to get hurt, however, the complainer did suffer very serious injuries for his actions and he feels dreadful for that.

“It was a catastrophic error of judgment on Mr Morrison’s part.

“If Mr Morrison could return back to December 7 2019 he wouldn’t make the same mistake.”

Law was ordered to pay £12,000 in compensation and carry out 150 hours of unpaid work over 12 months.

Morrison was ordered to pay £3,000 and carry out 150 hours of unpaid work over 12 months

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.


Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.