A former railway fireman, he was born in Thornton, Fife and lived their all his life, despite achieving great success in politics. In his homeland he is best remembered for leading the battle against local government reforms in 1975, for his efforts he was given the title, "Mr Fife". First elected to Fife County Council in 1945, George held a range of major positions over the next 33 years.
Between 1967 and 1978 he was chairman of Fife and Kinross Water Board; president of the Association of County Councils and chairman of Fife County Council, then first convenor of Fife Regional Council. In 1974, he was appointed to the Layfield Committee on Local Government Finance, and in 1975, the same year he became first president of CoSLA and vice-president of the Scottish Council, he began a 14-year term as a director of Grampian television.
Between 1976 and 1977, he was a member of the Scottish Council for the Queen's Silver Jubilee Appeal and in 1978 he embarked on an eight-year-run as chairman of Glenrothes Development Corporation and was appointed a member of the Royal Commission on Legal Services in Scotland. Even after his retiral, Sir George continued to serve Fife as its Deputy Lord Lieutenant. He earned the OBE in 1969 and was knighted seven years later for outstanding services.