Lemon Chicken and Pea Risotto (serves 4-6)
480g leftover cooked chicken
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
220g risotto or long grain rice
600ml chicken stock
240g frozen peas
125g babycorn, sliced into circles
Any fresh herbs
1. Finely grate the lemon zest, then juice. Place the chicken strips in a deep tin. Pour the juice and zest over. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
2. Heat the garlic and olive oil in a large wide saucepan, add the rice and stir. Heat the chicken stock and keep it simmering on the top of the stove.
3. Gradually add the stock to the rice, stirring. Add the peas and babycorn. When all the stock has been used up, add the chicken strips and stir until piping hot. Add the herbs and a knob of butter.
Vegetable Lasagne (serves 8-10)
4 onions, finely chopped
4 small courgettes, cut into 2.5cm dice
2 small peppers, cored and cut into 2.5cm squares
300g butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
2 large leeks, cut into discs, optional
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 x 400g canned chopped tomatoes
600ml water or vegetable stock
70g plain flour
1.2 litres milk
1 tsp mustard
250g Cheddar cheese, grated
450g pre-cooked lasagne
Grated pumpkin seeds
1. Cook the veg and garlic for a few minutes, then add the tomatoes, tomato puree, seasoning and water or stock. Bubble for 10-15 minutes.
2. Whisk butter, flour, milk and mustard over a medium heat until the sauce begins to boil and thicken. Turn down heat and cook for two minutes. Add the grated cheese.
3. Into a greased baking dish pour one quarter of the white sauce, followed by one third of the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle in a third of the cheese then a single layer of lasagne sheets. Repeat, ending up with a final layer of sauce and cheese and the pumpkin seeds.
4. Cook for 25-30 minutes and serve.
For more information on Greener Scotland, visit greenerscotland.org.