King Charles III acceded to the throne immediately on the death of Elizabeth II, at the age of 96 in the sanctuary of Balmoral Castle.
The Queen’s son and successor King Charles III spoke of his grief soon after Buckingham Palace announced the death of the 96-year-old monarch, who died “peacefully” on Thursday afternoon at Balmoral.
There were cheers from the crowds as the King’s state Bentley arrived at the gates of the Palace.
He stepped from the car to greet the hundreds of well-wishers gathered outside.
Charles shook hands with countless members of the public lined up behind a barrier, thanking them for their good wishes.
Cheers rang out at Buckingham Palace as the King and Queen arrived, along with shouts of “God save the King”.
Queen Elizabeth: Updates as Buckingham Palace announces the death of the Queen
Good afternoon - welcome to our breaking news live blog following an update from Buckingham Palace.
If you are just joining us, The Queen’s immediate family members have been informed, with the latest announcement escalating fears for the monarch’s health.
The head of state pulled out of a virtual Privy Council on Wednesday after doctors ordered her to rest.
Holyrood’s Presiding Officer has said the thoughts of all in the Scottish Parliament are with the Queen after Buckingham Palace said she was under medical supervision at Balmoral.
Speaking after First Minister’s Questions, Alison Johnstone made a brief statement to MSPs.
“I am aware that a statement has been made at Westminster on the health of Her Majesty the Queen,” she said.
“I will, of course, monitor developments and keep members updated over the course of the day.
“But my, I’m sure the thoughts of all in Parliament are with Her Majesty at this time.”
There have been a number of statements regarding the Queen in the last few months - however the majority have mentioned mobility issues.
Here is the latest statement from Buckingham Palace: “Following further evaluation this morning, the Queen’s doctors are concerned for Her Majesty’s health and have recommended she remain under medical supervision.
“The Queen remains comfortable and at Balmoral.”
Liz Truss was on the front bench of the Commons after her first major policy intervention as Prime Minister when she received the concerning news about the Queen’s health.
The initial indication that something was wrong came as Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, Nadhim Zahawi, came into the Chamber, sat down next to the Prime Minister and began urgently speaking to her while she was listening to Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer’s response to her energy statement.
Sir Keir, too, was passed a note by his deputy Angela Rayner, with Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle also handed a piece of paper updating him about the developing situation.
Prince Charles and Camilla have arrived at Balmoral and Prince William is travelling there
The Duke of York - Prince Andrew - is on his way to Balmoral. The Count and Countess of Wessex, Edward and Sophie, are also travelling there, and Princess Anne is already in Scotland where she had been undertaking engagements.
Today’s news broke during a BBC One bulletin at 12.39pm, interrupting Bargain Hunt’s usual run, which is scheduled to end at 1pm on weekdays.
It is understood that the BBC schedule will be live news only until at least 6pm.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were due to attend the WellChild Awards ceremony in London on Thursday evening, but have changed their plans to travel to see the Queen.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be travelling to Scotland”, a spokesperson for the couple said.
The couple, who now live in the US, have been in the UK in recent days for various engagements.
They are now in Germany, to mark one year until the Invictus Games
When news of the Queen’s health became apparent, a debate was going on in the House of Commons.
In the Commons, the debate about the Government’s energy policy carried on.
Rhondda MP Mr Bryant said: “The Commons feels chilly and sombre, as if the blood has been drained from its cheeks. We wish Her Majesty and her family well.”