Cameron House Hotel owners to face fire safety regulation charges following fatal blaze

The company which owns the luxury Cameron House Resort hotel will tomorrow face charges under fire safety regulations, more than three years after a fatal blaze killed two guests.

Victims: Richard Dyson and Simon Midgley died at the Cameron House Hotel

Simon Midgley and Richard Dyson, both from London, died after the fire broke out in the five-star hotel on the shores of Loch Lomond in December 2017.

The main building, which was constructed in the 18th century, was destroyed and more than 200 people fled the flames and thick smoke during a massive rescue operation.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Journalist Mr Midgley, 32, and Mr Dyson, 38, were subsequently found dead in the room where they had been enjoying a pre-Christmas break.

The hotel building suffered major damage

The case against Cameron House Resort is scheduled to call on Friday at Dumbarton Sheriff Court where full details of the cause of the blaze will be aired publicly.

Both charges relate to alleged breaches of the Fire (Scotland) Act - Failure to take fire safety measures; failure put person at risk of death/serious injury and failure of person in control to take fire safety measures; failure put person at risk of death or serious injury.

If a guilty plea is entered, and accepted by the Crown, the resort faces a massive fine. The possibility of a Fatal Accident Inquiry has not been ruled out by prosecutors and survivors and relatives of the two victims are expected to take raise private actions for damages.

The criminal case will be heard less than a fortnight after it emerged that the cost of repairs to the hotel are expected to mount to at least £26 million.

The owners said that the estimated bill for repairs to the property, near Balloch, has risen from £18.5m to £25.8m.

However, the majority of the costs will be covered by insurers.

Accounts submitted to Companies House by Cameron House Resort (Loch Lomond) Ltd revealed they hope to be open for business in April after work was delayed by the coronavirus pandemic and staff being furloughed.

The report also confirmed a £17.5m extension, including a new ballroom and 68 bedrooms, to replace fire-damaged accommodation, is expected to be open in November.

It continues: "Following on from the fire on December 18 2017 which destroyed a portion of the main building of Cameron House Resort, the building, encompassing all of the hotel rooms, three restaurants, the hotel's pool and leisure facilities and various other hotel guest services and back of house continue to remain closed.

"Emergence of Covid-19 in the post year has impacted global economies and businesses generally."

The report adds: "Assessments of total reinstatement costs and related insurance proceeds are ongoing and at this time the estimated costs of reinstatement including contents total approximately £25.8m, the majority of which has been reimbursed through insurance proceeds."

Bosses had earlier revealed £1m losses suffered due to the timing of the blaze was also covered by an insurance pay out.

Last month, it emerged the hotel had launched a recruitment drive ahead of the planned reopening in the spring.

An advert on their website said it is looking to fill a number of posts including sales manager, reservations agent and shop manager.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.