Alistair Wilson murder: Police make new appeal

A NEW murder investigation team is to probe the killing of Highland banker Alistair Wilson, who was shot dead on the doorstep of his home in Nairn nine years ago.
The weapon used was a Haenel Suhl pistol dating pack to the 1940s. Picture: PAThe weapon used was a Haenel Suhl pistol dating pack to the 1940s. Picture: PA
The weapon used was a Haenel Suhl pistol dating pack to the 1940s. Picture: PA

As the anniversary of the brutal shooting approaches a fresh appeal has been launched, and evidence is to be re-investigated by Murder Investigation Team (MIT) North, a new team of officers from across Scotland responsible for all major crime in the area. The teamare focusing their attention on the handgun used in the shooting of the 32-year-old father of two.

New team

Detective Superintendent Malcolm Stewart, who is leading MIT North, hopes people fearful of coming forward in the past may now feel ready to provide the vital information needed to crack the case.

Alistair Wilson. Picture: PAAlistair Wilson. Picture: PA
Alistair Wilson. Picture: PA
Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He said: “We are committed to bringing Mr Wilson’s killer to justice and MIT North will be able to call upon the full resources of Police Scotland in order to do so.

“We will have a dedicated team of detectives, based in Inverness, working on the case over the coming days, weeks and months, tasked with re-examining the circumstances.”

Police Scotland have also released new images and details of the murder weapon in a bid to piece together the history of the Haenal Suhl Model 1 Schmeissers Patent pistol used in the attack, which is more than 60 years old.

The killing on the evening of 28 November, 2004 sparked a significant manhunt and Stewart said the investigation remains very much open,

He said: “Alistair’s loved ones are still grieving for his loss and they deserve answers.

“They deserve justice. We cannot lose sight of that and we are determined to get it for them. We have kept them aware of developments throughout the investigation and they are supportive of our efforts.

“As with all long running cases, it is good practice to periodically take a fresh look at the evidence and identify any new opportunities or lines of enquiry.

“Those who may have been reluctant to come forward with information nine years ago, for whatever reason, may be more willing to do so now.”


Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The gun involved was found in a Nairn drain in December 2004 by council workers, and subsequently identified as the murder weapon following forensic analysis.

Stewart said: “The weapon is a significant age - dating back well over 60 years - so piecing together its history could very well help provide us with new leads.

“Someone out there has information about what happened that day and I am particularly keen to hear from anyone who recognises the weapon or thinks they may know anything about it at all.”

“We need to keep an open mind and it is important that we don’t rule anything in or out particularly when there is a real chance this could put anyone with genuine, relevant information off of coming forward.”

Mr Wilson’s widow, Veronica, is aware of the development, but would not comment.


At the time of the murder, Mr Wilson had been a business manager with Halifax Bank of Scotland in Inverness.

He was due to start a new job with Building Research Establishment, a research and consultancy business expanding in the north of Scotland.

The married father had just put his sons, Andrew, then four, and two-year-old Graham, to bed when the killer knocked at the family’s house in Crescent Road at about 7.15pm.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Veronica Wilson answered the door, and the man asked for her husband. She went to get him and Mr Wilson had a conversation with the man then returned to his wife with a blue or green envelope, the contents of which have never been revealed.

Mr Wilson returned to the doorstep and was shot several times. He was pronounced dead at Raigmore Hospital in Inverness.

More than 50 officers were working initially on the case, and more than 250 DNA samples were taken along with more than 2,500 statements.