Third Division: Swankie hat-trick sends Abroath to the summit

Arbroath moved to the top for the first time since the opening day of the season, as they won 4-3 at long-time leaders Stranraer with striker Gavin Swankie netting a hat-trick.

Scott Agnew fired the Blues ahead after 13 minutes with Swankie levelling 13 minutes later from close range. Josh Falkingham put the visitors in front before the break only for burly Frenchman Armand One to shoot home from 25 yards to tie the scores again.

Swankie than netted twice in a nine-minute spell, but it was soon game on again when the visiting Ross Chisholm was dismissed for a foul on Steven Noble. Glen Mitchell pulled a goal back in injury-time before Falkingham picked up a needless second yellow card for kicking the ball away to leave Arbroath finishing the game with nine men.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Arbroath manager Paul Sheerin said: "We have gone behind in games this season and struggled to get back in but the boys stuck at it in this one. "

Dejected Stranraer manager Keith Knox said: "We scored good goals but gave away some very cheap ones."

Albion Rovers returned to winning ways at home with a 2-0 victory over in-form Elgin with Scott Chaplain scoring in the first-half and John Gemmell in the second with Coatbridge manager Paul Martin happy he stuck to his beliefs.

Elgin missed a late chance to get back when Jason Crooks saw his penalty saved to leave Martin saying: "We have lost two and drawn one of our last three games, but I believe that we are playing well and do not need to change too much."

East Stirling put their disappointment over being expelled from the Scottish Cup behind them to defeat Berwick Rangers 1-0 with the winner coming off the sole of visiting defender Chris McLeod's boot just after the half hour.

East Stirling assistant head coach David Nicholls said: "We have a sense of injustice that I hope will take us from five wins in a row to 15 wins in a row."

Bottom side Clyde went down again, this time 3-1 at Montrose. Bully Wee striker Marc McCusker had given his side the lead in first-half injury time, however a penalty from Paul Tosh and goals from Sean Crighton and substitute Martin Boyle kept the points in Angus.

Related topics: