Hibernian 1 - 1 Aberdeen: Jamie Maclaren earns Hibs late point

Jamie Maclaren played the part of super-sub as Hibernian rescued a 1-1 draw against Aberdeen at Easter Road.

Hibernian's Jamie MacLaren celebrates scoring the equaliser. Pic: SNS/Alan Harvey

The Dons appeared to be on course to claim all three points when Tommie Hoban marked his first Ladbrokes Premiership appearance with the opening goal on the cusp of half-time.

The visitors’ lead could have been more handsome, but for referee Andrew Dallas’ decision to wave away claims for a spot-kick when Lewis Ferguson appeared to be tripped on the box in the first period.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

And Aberdeen’s frustration was only exacerbated when Maclaren, thrown on in place of Lewis Stevenson as the hosts chased a leveller, struck in the 86th minute - opening his account in his second spell at the club.

The breathless draw sees both sides continue their unbeaten starts to the season in domestic football.

It was Hibs who crafted the first clear opportunity courtesy of a slick counter-attack involving Stevie Mallan and Stevenson, culminated in Daryl Horgan getting a shot away from inside the box. Joe Lewis, however, made a magnificent save.

It took until the half-hour mark for Derek McInnes’ Aberdeen men to threaten, with an instinctive Ferguson shot from the edge of the box forcing a sharp stop from the unsighted Adam Bogdan.

The pace of Martin Boyle was proving a constant menace in the first period, and it was the flying forward who forced another decent near-post save from Lewis after haring onto a typically incisive pass by Mallan.

Dallas was thrust into the spotlight just before half-time as the Aberdeen players and staff howled for a penalty kick when Ferguson looked to have been fouled in the box by Paul Hanlon - only for the whistler to wave play on.

However, Aberdeen’s anger was calmed from the resulting corner. A Gary Mackay-Steven delivery was directed across the face of goal by Stevie May for Hoban and, although his point-blank effort was saved by Bogdan, the on-loan Watford man scrambled the rebound over the line.

Ferguson and May both stung the palms of Bodgan from distance as Aberdeen sought to press home their advantage in the second period.

However, Hibs restored parity with four minutes to play thanks to Australian international Maclaren, who displayed his attacking instincts by turning home a terrific Hanlon cross following a crisp passing move that also involved Horgan.

The encounter ended on a fractious note, with Mackay-Steven and Ryan Porteous squaring up to each other, and the latter plunging to the turf holding his face following the head-to-head confrontation. Dallas decided a booking apiece would suffice.