Harlequins 22 '“ 17 Glasgow: Warriors lose see-saw contest

Glasgow Warriors narrowly lost to their Aviva Premiership hosts in this entertaining pre-season game at the Twickenham Stoop. But, they played the more attractive rugby and the loss of coach Gregor Townsend at the end of the season does not appear to have affected Warriors' determination to play high-tempo, running rugby.

Nick Grigg of the Glasgow Warriors looks to off-load during their match against Harlequins.  Picture: Joel Ford/Getty Images
Nick Grigg of the Glasgow Warriors looks to off-load during their match against Harlequins. Picture: Joel Ford/Getty Images

“It was a good work-out, and while I’d have liked a win, the result wasn’t important,” said the Glasgow and future Scotland coach, pictured.

Glasgow took the lead in the fifth minute. A sniping break up the left by Grayson Hart got them deep into the Quins’ 22 and, after three or four charges were stopped, they moved the ball right, for Simone Favore to barge over for an unconverted try.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But the hosts capitalised on some weak Glasgow tackling to go in front on ten minutes, stand-off Nick Evans doing the running damage to set-up Ross Chisholm for a simple try, which Evans converted.

Glasgow battled back, however, taking charge of the game and deservedly going back in front on 28 minutes when Leonardo Sarto danced through some less-than-committed tackling for a try, converted by Rory Clegg.

With four minutes of the first half left, another example of poor Glasgow tackling allowed Jamie Roberts to break up the right and send replacement James Chisholm in for a try with his first touch. This was unconverted and the first-half ended all-square.

Referee Tim Wigglesworth sensibly halted the half early, as Warriors’ centre Nick Grigg was receiving prolonged treatment to a head knock. Richie Vernon took his place after the restart.

In 49 minutes, Favaro’s efforts to defend a series of Harlequins driven mauls earned him a yellow card. The Londoners kept up the pressure, but Glasgow held out, a man short, for six minutes, before Mat Luamanu was driven over to restore Harlequins’ lead, with an unconverted try.

Harlequins’ replacement Winston Stanley was then yellow carded and, when Warriors kicked to the corner and seized a line-out, Pat McArthur was driven over to restore parity.

The draw lasted a mere seven minutes, however, before another replacement, Quins’ winger Jonas Mikalcius, swept up the right for a fine, unconverted, solo try, to put the home side 22-17 in front.

With Glasgow chasing the game, Ali Price made a superb solo break to the home 22 and found numbers arriving over on the left. A try seemed certain but Junior Bulumakau fumbled and the chance was lost.