Glasgow Warriors clinch 1872 Cup in pulsating derby win over Edinburgh

The 1872 Cup has returned to Glasgow for the first time since 2017 after Danny Wilson’s men secured a bonus point 29-19 victory over arch-rivals Edinburgh to win the series 2-1.

Zander Fagerson, on his 100th appearance for Glasgow Warriors, with the 1872 Cup after the win over Edinburgh at Scotstoun. Picture: Ian MacNicol/Getty Images
Zander Fagerson, on his 100th appearance for Glasgow Warriors, with the 1872 Cup after the win over Edinburgh at Scotstoun. Picture: Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

Following a humiliating loss to Benetton last time out, it was clear from the start that Warriors were determined to make amends, with the home players celebrating minor victory with a raucous energy. Their lack of energy in Italy had been a particular frustration for Wilson and there was clear intent here to generate their own momentum.

It wasn’t one-way traffic and Edinburgh had a spell in the ascendancy, but Warriors were as resilient in defence as they were purposeful in attack, and academy stand-off Ross Thompson saw off the threat by ripping the ball in a tackle and then sending a 60-yard clearance downfield.

Hide Ad

Thompson fired the hosts into the lead with a 35-yard offside penalty, and then Ali Price – one of three players on the park selected on Thursday for this summer’s Lions tour – sent full-back Cole Forbes – hitting a brilliant line like a runaway train – over for the first try of the evening.

Edinburgh winger Duhan van der Merwe is stopped in his tracks. Picture: Ross MacDonald / SNS
Hide Ad

Edinburgh hit back when Dave Cherry burst over for a try off the back of a powerful lineout drive, and Nathan Chamberlain nailed the touchline conversion to make it 10-7, but the pendulum swung immediately back towards the hosts when Kyle Steyn hunted down Edinburgh full-back Damien Hoyland, Fraser Brown stole possession on the deck and Foto Lokotui wrestled over.

While Glasgow’s intent going forward was impressive, that problem with discipline continued to haunt them, and Rob Harley was sent to the sin-bin for side entry. Pierre Schoeman wasted no time in grabbing Edinburgh’s second try of the night from another lineout drive.

Hide Ad

There were then two red-cards in quick succession. First Mark Bennett was given his marching orders after a ‘captain’s challenge’ from Brown highlighted that the Edinburgh centre’s shoulder had made contact with Price’s jaw in a tackle, and five minutes later Henry Pyrgos made a successful challenge of his own when he was caught on the side of the head by Oli Kebble’s swinging elbow.

Under the law variations which are being trialed during this Rainbow Cup campaign, that meant both players would not be allowed to return to the match but could be replaced after their respective sides had played the next 20 minutes with 14 men.

Hide Ad
Cole Forbes is all smiles as he goes over for a first half try for Glasgow Warriors. Picture: Ross MacDonald / SNS

Warriors had the last say in a whirlwind half when Brown rumbled over to open up a 10-point lead, and the host grabbed the bonus point after seven minutes of the second half through a Steyn try.

Hide Ad

Edinburgh kept the game alive when Stuart McInally marked his return to action after four months out with a try just a few minutes after coming off the bench.

Richie Gray was yellow-carded for collapsing a maul as Edinburgh battled hard for their bonus point try during the final 10 minutes. Despite being down to 14 men, Warriors held out thanks to some excellent work from Ratu Tagive to hold McInally up over the line.



Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.