Exiles move into pole position

The Inter-District title charge of Glasgow was derailed by the Scottish Exiles, who are now on course for glory in their comeback season after a 20-6 win at Burnbrae last night.

The Exiles deservedly broke the deadlock in the 10th minute with a Chris Day penalty after the Glasgow defence illegally killed the ball deep inside their own territory.

This woke up Glasgow, and Iain Monaghan slotted a penalty after former Scotland tourist Nick Broughton was caught offside. The vistors claimed the first touchdown through prop James Kelly in the wake of a pick-and-drive move after they had opted not to go for goal with a penalty.

They broke through again just 90 seconds after the restart when Broughton robbed Monaghan and galloped to the target from 12 metres out.

Glasgow suffered another setback as Monaghan was wide with a penalty, but he recovered to claw back three points with his next attempt from virtually the same position.

But they were forced to operate a man short for the next 10 minutes after lock Chas Afuakwah was yellow carded for careless footwork. Broughton was also sinbinned shortly afterwards.

Wing Campbell Aitken converted his own late try to make sure of success for the Exiles.

At Poynder Park, Scottish Border Reivers fought back from being 20-8 down at half time to beat Caldeonia 28-25.

Caledonia flanker Craig McDonald put winger Ben Price in for the first try after thirteen minutes for Price to convert then five minutes later a chip ahead by Murray Fraser bounced kindly for the full back leaving him to make the touchdown.

David Adamson crossed for the third try after breaking two tackles on the way and it was only after 25 minutes that the Reivers put points on the board with Scott Nichol ghosting through from 25 yards out.

Price and Chris Richards exchanged penalties in the last 12 minutes of the half for Caledonia to go in 20-8 ahead

Reivers upped their game in the second half and in the 62ndminute, Kevin Reid’s scrum base pick up and feed saw Nichol put Gavin Douglas over for Scott Paterson to convert. Caledonia hit back two minutes later when Matt McGrandles put flanker Stewart Hannah galloping in from forty yards out .

With 12 minutes left to go, Douglas grabbed his second try of the night, then Gary Hill’s try pulled the scores level with nine minutes to go. With the clock running down, Scott Patterson won the game for the Reivers with a penalty .

Glasgow: K Baillie; S Little, A Gibbon, S Petrie, P Price; F Sinclair, I Monaghan; A Cowan, C Docherty, G Sykes, I Smith, C Afuakwah, S Hutton, N McKenzie, J Shaw.

Scottish Exiles: B Hinshelwood; C Aitken, A Craig, S Manson, A McLean; C Day, K Dungait; J Kelly, I McIntosh, D Porte, D Whitehead, N Mitchell, N Broughton, C Malone, C Houston.

Referee: M Hall (Boroughmuir)

Scottish Border Reivers: C Richards; C Murray, S Paterson, G Hill, G Douglas; S Nichol, K Reid; I Cornwall, M Landels, D Paxton, I Elliot, S McLeod, J Szkudro, J Henderson, B Keown

Caledonia: M Fraser; S Pearson, C Goodall, M McGrandles, B Price; D Adamson, G Young; T Gordon-Duff, D McKinley, W Anderson, J Syme, K Fraser, S Hannah, C McDonald, J Mackenzie.

Referee: J Yuill (Biggar)