Kathryn Bryce and Kyle Coetzer are named associate cricketers of the decade

Scottish cricketers have achieved a remarkable double by being named Player of the Decade in both the men’s and women’s associate categories in the International Cricket Council awards.

Kathryn Bryce, pictured in action for Loughborough Lightning, has been named Associate Player of the Decade.
Kathryn Bryce, pictured in action for Loughborough Lightning, has been named Associate Player of the Decade.

Scotland batsman Kyle Coetzer took the men’s accolade after scoring 2277 runs at an average of 45.54 in one-day international matches during the awards period.

All-rounder Kathryn Bryce, who averaged 50 with the bat and 9.93 with the ball in Twenty20 internationals during the awards period, won the women’s prize.

She dedicated it to her predecessors in the Scotland team who blazed a trail for females playing cricket in this country.

“It is a real honour to win this award, thanks for all your support,” the Scotland captain posted on Twitter. “A special mention goes out to every woman that played for Scotland before me that contributed to getting this team into a position to play in global tournaments.”

Bryce, 23, formerly of Watsonians, now plays for Loughborough Lightning and recently signed a full-time ECB domestic contract along with her younger sister and fellow Scotland international, Sarah, 20, who was also nominated for the Player of the Decade award.

Aberdeen-born Coetzer, 36, beat off the challenge of Scotland international team-mates Calum MacLeod and Richie Berrington to land the men’s ICC award.

The Awards of the Decade involved for the first time the fans’ voice in selecting the winners. The fan vote made up 10 per cent of the voting, while votes from an expert panel made up the remaining 90 per cent.

Kyle Coetzer won the men's award for Associate Player of the Decade.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.


Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.