Andy Murray offers guide to staying tennis fit during lockdown

Andy Murray has offered advice to recreational tennis players on how to stay fit for the sport during lockdown.

“Maintaining your upper body strength is something else you can do from home,” says Andy Murray.

As an elite athlete, the Scot is still permitted to train at the National Tennis Centre but during his many spells of rehabilitation, he has spent plenty of time unable to get on court.

In a blog on trrnutrition.com, Murray wrote: “The last 12 months have been tough for tennis players. Courts have been closed, then opened, then closed again.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“Club tournaments and social events have been cancelled, junior tennis has been scaled back and there hasn’t been much professional tennis to watch either.

“Whilst clubs are still shut, I thought it would be useful to put together some of my tips on how to stay tennis ready for when we can all get back on court.”

Read More

Read More
Andy Murray ‘gutted’ as he shelves plans to play at Australian Open

Murray cited general fitness as the most important cornerstone, while tennis specific exercises he recommends include catching a ball thrown against a wall, knocking down targets and a footwork drill involving moving around two tennis balls in a figure of eight.

“Maintaining your upper body strength is something else you can do from home,” said Murray. “If you don’t have weights you can use your own body weight for press-ups or tricep dips.

“Burpees are good too if you are feeling energetic. If you want to add some weights into your routine, you can use litre bottles of water or baked bean cans.”

Lastly, Murray stressed the importance of flexibility, adding: “There are plenty of different classes online or you can just incorporate some simple stretches into your day like touching your toes, lunges and chin tucks.

“Good luck, stay fit and hopefully see you back on court soon.”

A badly-timed bout of coronavirus has delayed Murray’s return to the court, with the former world number one admitting defeat last week in his bid to play in the Australian Open.

His first tournament of 2021 is now expected to be a second-tier Challenger event in Biella, Italy beginning on February 15.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by Coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.

 0 comments

Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.