Northampton 39-31 Newcastle: Try feast at Franklin’s

Stephen Myler passed 2,000 points for Northampton as the Aviva Premiership leaders earned a bonus-point 39-31 victory over Newcastle in last night’s encounter at a sold-out Franklin’s Gardens.

Ken Pisi of Northampton off loads the ball during last nights high-scoring Aviva Premiership match. Picture: David Rogers/Getty
Ken Pisi of Northampton off loads the ball during last nights high-scoring Aviva Premiership match. Picture: David Rogers/Getty

But the Falcons will be delighted to come away with a bonus point thanks to four tries from Chris Harris, George McGuigan, Alex Tait and Richard Mayhew.

They probably deserved a losing bonus point as well but tries from Myler, who also kicked 12 points, George Pisi, Calum Clark, Luther Burrell and a penalty try denied Dean Richards’ men.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Only Paul Grayson has scored more points for Northampton than Myler, and it was Grayson, as director of rugby, who signed the fly-half from rugby league’s Salford City Reds in 2006.

Myler opened the scoring with an easy penalty on 10 minutes, but it was anything but a straightforward win as Newcastle continued to show just how much they are improving under Richards.

Northampton missed two golden try-scoring chances before George North gathered on his 10-metre line to spark a superb move that saw George Pisi round one and then hold off another tackler to send Myler over in the corner.

The fly-half got up to land the conversion to give the Saints a 10-0 lead after 16 minutes.

Newcastle hit back five minutes later with Number 8 Mark Wilson making a tackle-busting run in midfield and then Tom Catterick poked a grubber kick through for winger Harris to dot down in the corner. Falcons academy-product Catterick landed the difficult conversion and then drew Newcastle level with a penalty on 29 minutes.

George Pisi restored Northampton’s lead five minutes before half-time. Another break from North set up the attack before Myler squeezed through a grubber kick for the Samoan to score. Myler added the extras to make it 17-10 at the break.

Myler add three more points thanks to a scrum penalty at the start of the second half before Falcons lock Josh Furno was sent to the sin-bin on 48 minutes for killing the ball and Northampton moved in for the kill.

From the ensuing line-out Samu Manoa dropped the ball as he twisted round to score, though a superb tackle from Mayhew was a contributing factor. But Northampton came again and, although the TMO had a long look at Ken Pisi’s final pass, the run from Ben Foden deserved a try and it was Calum Clark on the end of it.

Clark was denied a second try as he was on the back of a line-out drive that was brought down illegally and referee Ian Tempest gave a penalty try. The score sealed the bonus point for Northampton and Myler converted to reach 2,000 points for the club and leave the field to a standing ovation.

At 32-10 it looked all over but with the five points in the bag Saints switched off and McGuigan was on the end of a Newcastle line-out drive before Harris fended off Burrell to set up Tait’s try. Catterick converted both to make it 32-24.

Burrell made up for his mistake to get on the end of another North break. Still Newcastle came back and scored their fourth try through another line-out drive which Mayhew dotted down.