National League Rugby: Hawks come alive after the break to rout Biggar

GLASGOW HAWKS ran in seven unanswered tries in the second half against Biggar to complete an impressive turnaround at Hartreemilll and stay unbeaten in the RBS National League.

The home side took a slender 6-0 lead into the second 40 minutes thanks to two penalties by Craig Parker but, after the interval, it was all Hawks as they added to their opening day win over Watsonians. Three of the tries in the 45-6 victory came from Tony Herron, who joined the club from GHK over the summer. Andy Fleming, Callum Kerr, Ross Miller and Jono Wright also crossed with Mike Adamson kicking five conversions.

Watsonians were also in try scoring form on Saturday, the men from Myreside putting an amazing 
78 points past Jed-Forest in the capital. Tom Hart, Scotland Sevens man Jack Ferguson and full-back Rory Steele, on his home debut, led the way against the bedraggled Borderers with two tries apiece.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Five more tries were scored by the home side while all Jed could muster was a penalty by Iain Chisholm as they lost 78-3.

Hillhead/Jordanhill remain top after their second bonus point win on the road, this time 36-14 at Stewart’s Melville.

In a cracking Borders derby Selkirk managed to edge out Hawick at Mansfield Park in a match that was nip and tuck all the way.

Fraser Harkness, Andrew Renwick, Ryan Crockett and Gordon Patterson scored the four tries to give Selkirk their bonus point while Andrew McVie kicked 10 points.

Hawick scored tries through Shawn Muir and Neil Renwick, with the latter also kicking two conversions and four penalties as they were beaten 30-26.

It means Hawick have now let in 58 points in just two matches.

Kelso bounced back from their opening day loss at Selkirk to defeat Hamilton 32-14 at Poynder Park.

The tries for the hosts came from Ian Wallace, Darren Gillespie, Frankie Robson, Richard Minto and Stuart Lowrie, with Murray Hastie kicking seven points also.

The visitors’ points in this one came from a solitary Scott Whitelaw try and three penalties from Owen McLeish.