MacLean and McLeod want Hearts decision

STEVEN MacLEAN today urged Hearts to make their intentions clear as he and fellow signing target Izale McLeod await contact from the Tynecastle club over their prospective moves north.

Both players trained at Riccarton last week but MacLean and his family returned to England today none the wiser on whether Hearts intend to conclude a six-month loan deal with his club, Plymouth Argyle. McLeod journeyed back to London last Wednesday and remains similarly in the dark.

"All I can say is I'm going back to Plymouth today. If Hearts want to sign me it's up to them now. I don't want to say any more than that at the moment," said MacLean.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

McLeod underwent a medical examination during his brief stay in Edinburgh and Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo has admitted concern over the player's knee. However, he was named in the Charlton squad for Saturday's postponed League One fixture with Walsall.

"I haven't heard from Hearts, nor has the player," said Tony Finnigan, McLeod's agent. "He was in the squad on Saturday but it's not really my place to contact them now. I spoke to a Mr Kornakov (Hearts' interpreter] a few days ago and he said

he would be back in touch in a few hours. The window is open now, if they want to do business, fine."

Laszlo admitted he still covets the services of both MacLean and McLeod but their moves must first be ratified by Vladimir Romanov and his board of directors. In the case of McLeod, Hearts offered Charlton 100,000 last summer but are now considering an initial loan deal to test the water.

"MacLean has gone back to Plymouth because his children have school there. I would like to take him, this is not closed," said Laszlo. "I am just the coach of this team and it is my job to do my best. To be better and have more competition, you need somebody with experience. I think it is necessary to take a player for up front.

"McLeod had a problem with his knee and our doctors made a check. We will come back next week to this question. We can't take any risk, we must have somebody for the next four months who can play. This is my opinion but the guy is fantastic. He had a very good attitude and he has the will to come to Hearts. If something happens it will be good for us."