Hibs kid's relief at hammering home the winner against Celtic

BABY-FACED assassin Danny Galbraith today revealed how two years of pain disappeared in an instant as he hammered home a last-gasp winner at Celtic Park.

The Hibs kid stuck the knife into Celtic's SPL title hopes, leaving Tony Mowbray's side trailing arch-rivals Rangers by ten points as he claimed the Easter Road outfit's first win in the east end of Glasgow in almost five years.

The victory leaves Hibs just two points behind the Hoops in third place but 19-year-old Galbraith admitted his first goal was also a major personal triumph after injury wrecked his dream move to Manchester United.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Operation followed operation as the one-time Hearts youngster suffered an ankle injury followed by a knee problem before major surgery on his groin sidelined him for ten months.

But today he declared all the pain and despair "worthwhile" as he recalled his dream moment. The Gala-born kid said: "I had to write off more or less two years of my career, from the age of 17 to almost 19 I hardly kicked a ball.

"Every day it was just a case of working away in the gym by myself. I've put a lot of work in, given my all to battle back and give myself another chance.

"After the disappointment of all those injuries, coming here to Hibs is a new chapter, a new chance. Seeing the ball go past Artur Boruc and into the net makes it all worthwhile. It was a moment to remember, most definitely.

"I could hardly believe it but it couldn't have been better – the second minute of injury time."

Galbraith, though, admitted he was toiling to make it to the other end of the pitch as Hibs, having resisted almost continual Celtic pressure throughout the second half, broke at pace after John Rankin had smashed yet another Hoops attack.

Anthony Stokes, who had cancelled out Marc-Antoine Fortune's fifth-minute opener with his 14th goal of the season, picked up the ball before feeding it back to Rankin, who spotted Galbraith on his left shoulder.

The winger, who had replaced Colin Nish for the final 26 minutes, said: "I found it hard to get my second wind coming on, especially in a game like that. When I saw Stokesy breaking I just took off but I felt as if I was towing a truck.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"When John played it in to me I just concentrated on getting my first touch in front of me. I steadied myself, aimed for the bottom corner and was obviously delighted to see it go in. Then I took off to celebrate, just as well it was at the end of the game because I couldn't have gone on much longer. I was booked – but I'll take that any day."