Hajduk Split 0 - 1 Stoke City: Ryan Shotton seals Europa progress for Stoke

RYAN Shotton's stoppage-time goal in Croatia secured victory for Stoke against Hajduk Split to book their place in the final qualifying round of the Europa League.

The Potters, who went into the third round second leg with a 1-0 lead from last week's first leg at the Britannia Stadium, put in an impressively controlled display over 90 minutes, Tony Pulis' players seemingly untroubled by the vociferous home supporters at Stadion Poljud. And the performance was capped in the 93rd minute by substitute Shotton, who was in the right place to convert Dean Whitehead's cross.

Pulis handed a Stoke debut to summer signing Jonathan Woodgate. The former Tottenham player came into the heart of the Potters defence with Robert Huth switching to full-back to replace Andy Wilkinson, who was not included in the squad.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rory Delap had not travelled with the group, so Whitehead took his place in midfield in the only other change to the team that had started the first leg.

The hosts' coach Krasimir Balakov had promised his team would be firmly on the offensive and in the fifth minute they looked threatening as Marin Tomasov broke into the box.

Woodgate was on hand to guide the ball out for a corner, which Mario Brkljaca then headed over the bar.

The Potters began to settle, though, and Jon Walters found himself in a good position around the quarter-hour mark but could only lift his shot into the body of defender Ljubo Milicevic.

Hajduk's fans were growing restless and some bottles were thrown from the stands soon after the start of the second half when Huth tackled Vukovic by the touchline.

Glenn Whelan struck the ball into Danijel Subasic's arms before Ivan Vukovic was challenged by Ryan Shawcross and had to be substituted by Ahmad Sharbini.

Moments later, Anas Sharbini advanced into the box and got a shot away which Shawcross managed to divert behind for a corner.

Tomasov saw a free-kick deflect the wrong side of the post off Whelan and then hoisted a shot well wide. With a little under 15 minutes to go, Pulis withdrew Kenwyne Jones and introduced Salif Diao.

Brkljaca then appeared fortunate to escape punishment for an apparent dive in the box. Walters then came off for Shotton, who was the hero late on as he bundled in Whitehead's cross.