Haddington give Arniston plenty to think about

ARNISTON RANGERS were given the proverbial kick up the backside when Haddington came to Gorebridge and stole the points in a 2-1 Dechmont Forklift League Cup win against their Premier League opponents.

Arniston were going for their third win on the bounce and looking to increase their lead at the top of their section but were brought crashing back down to earth by a spirited Haddington side. Haddington took the lead through a Steve McDonald goal in the first half and doubled their tally with quarter of an hour to go when transfer-listed Joe Murray scored.

It was a nailbiting last 15 minutes as Arniston threw everything at the visiting defence. They pulled a goal back when Lewis Coult scored and then hit the bar but Haddington held out for a valuable three points.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Shock of the night was down at Dunbar where the home team were playing hosts to Premier League side Penicuik and won 5-3. Penicuik were expected to stroll through this game against their South Division opponents and indeed raced to a 3-1 lead before half time. Dean Walker opened the scoring for Penicuik but Richie Weir equalised quickly. Ryan Gay scored direct from a corner before Keith Barr restored their two-goal cushion. However after the break things fell apart as the visitors lost four goals to a very impressive Dunbar strike force. Chris Grant pulled a goal back before Callum Hill levelled the game. Graham Purves gave Dunbar the lead with their fourth with Geoff Jones finishing the scoring just before the end.

Musselburgh switched their game to Tranent with work still ongoing at their own ground and won 2-1 thanks to a double from striker Mathu King. Mel Graham pulled a goal back from the penalty spot with Gerry Draper sent off in the process.

Livingston recorded their second win on the bounce, at Blackburn, with Andy McQuillan scoring the only goal of the game against his old club.

Stoneyburn lost 2-0 at home to the cup holders, Camelon, who took the lead after only 40 seconds. Blair Batchelor scored the early breakthrough with Craig Young getting the second. They now have a full nine points from their three games played and look like they will be in the mix again come the final.

Sauchie proved they will be a team to be reckoned with in the South Division again this season. They beat Harthill 2-1 and have already beatenWest Calder and Harthill this season.