Tynecastle put four past Windsor to seal cup win

Tynecastle FC won the SERYFA under-19s Section B League Cup after defeating Musselburgh Windsor Colts 4-1 at Ainslie Park.

The teams finished level on points in their league campaign, and a close encounter was expected before kick-off, but Tynecastle were able to retain possession effectively to seal a convincing win.

Tynecastle had the first opportunity in the opening minute when striker Ross Gunning missed the target from close range after pressure on the Musselburgh defence.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A neat passing move between Joseph Greig and Gunning set up Mark Hanlon for the opening goal in the 14th minute as his shot from the left hand side found the net. Musselburgh had their first real scoring chance in the 18th minute when Daniel Howie headed over the bar from inside the six yard box after Kyle Burrows corner.

Tynecastle had a goal disallowed on the half-hour mark. Daniel Mason’s ball into the penalty area fell kindly to Gunning, who hammered the ball into the net, only for it to be chalked off by the assistant.

The Saughton based team failed to score from three consecutive chances after 33 minutes. Windsor goalkeeper Rory Walker parried the first effort before Gunning’s shot was blocked on the line by a Musselburgh defender then Hanlon’s rebound effort was also stopped on the line before Walker was able to gather the ball.

Musselburgh Windsor opted to shoot from long range in their search of an equaliser. In the opening stages of the second half, Stefan Hay’s shot from outside the area went over the bar. Windsor found the net a minute later, Chris Stevenson creating a moment of magic as his shot from 25 yards dipped into the top left corner of the net.

The scores were not level for long though as Tynecastle regained their lead in the 56th minute when Mason curled the ball into the corner of the net from the edge of the penalty area.

Tynecastle added a third in the 61st minute when Hanlon fed Gary Nicholson who made no mistake as he fired into the net.

Nicholson grabbed his second goal with Tynecastle’s next attack, his shot hitting the back of the net after a cross from the right by-line.

Musselburgh tried to grab a consolation goal towards the end of the match however Hay’s free kick went over the crossbar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In the last minute, Stevenson took the ball round Danyal Walthew but his shot connected with the far post.

Musselburgh Windsor coach Dougie Bertram felt that the team did not perform to their usual standard.

He said: “We didn’t play as well as we expected or usually do. We have played well this season but did not show what we were capable of today.”

Tynecastle coach Andy Greig was delighted with the team. He said: “We started off really well in the first half with a high tempo, and put them under a lot of pressure.

“We knew that they would be going for it in the second half and they did. I am most proud that the boys withstood that and started playing again straight after they scored..”

Musselburgh Windsor Colts: Rory Walker, Andrew Paterson, Donald Motion, Connor Kennedy, Daniel Howie, Bruce Morrison, Steven Bertram, Gary Reid, Stefan Hay, Craig Love, Kyle Burrows, Blair Ramsay, Chris Stevenson, Steven Ross, Kieran Watson.

Tynecastle FC: Danyal Walthew, Jordan Gunning, Euan Rodgers, Craig Rennie, Gary Nicholson, Fergus Lockhart, Daniel Mason, Kevin Arlie, Ross Gunning, Craig Sutherland, Joseph Greig, Craig Bremner, Mark Hanlon, Stephen Lee.