The Rumour Mill: Tuesday's football transfer news and gossip
Time running out for Cuellar move
Ally McCoist has given Carlos Cuellar (pictured) until close of play today to make up his mind on a return to Ibrox. Rangers and Aston Villa have agreed a fee of 2million for the defender, but the Spaniard has yet to decide whether he wants to take a wage cut to return to his former club. If Cuellar, who is believed to be in Spain, does not break his silence today, McCoist will move on to other targets. (Daily Record)
• Kenny Miller can leave Bursaspor for 600,000 after his official transfer request was accepted. Rangers, who are keen to bring the Scotland striker back to Ibrox for a third spell at the club, will face stiff competition from other suitors, though, headed by Championship side Cardiff City, who have money to spend as they try again to win promotion to the Premier League. (The Scotsman)
• Kirk Broadfoot has admitted his future may lie away from Rangers if he is not given the chance to hold down a first-team place by new manager Ally McCoist. Asked if a loan move could be an option, he replied: "If I'm not seen as a first-team regular, then yes." (The Scotsman)
• Den Haag winger Wesley Verhoek's rumoured move to Rangers looks to be off. Senior Ibrox sources admitted they had been monitoring the player but had decided against making an offer. (Daily Record)
Celtic trial for Mphela
South African striker Katlego Mphela is determined to prove himself as a goalscorer as he prepares to jet into Glasgow for a week-long trial at Celtic. The 26-year-old, who was once linked with Rangers, could land a 1.5million move from Mamelodi Sundowns if he impresses. (Various)
• Celtic could land Spartak Moscow goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa for nothing, after the Russian club ripped up the Croat's contract. The 32-year-old is at Lennoxtown proving his fitness to Neil Lennon as the manager looks to bring in competition for Lukasz Zaluska. (Daily Record)
Skacel close to Hearts deal
Hearts director Sergejus Fedotovas said last night fans' favourite Rudi Skacel is close to agreeing fresh terms with the club. The Tynecastle outfit are set to take up their option to extend the Czech cap's contract by a further 12 months following talks with the midfielder. (The Scotsman)
Arnason completes Dons switch
Iceland international Kari Arnason has completed his move to Aberdeen in time to face Villareal in tonight's friendly at Pittodrie. The 28-year-old former Plymouth Argyle player, who can be used in midfield and defence, joined as a free agent after passing a medical. (Daily Express)
• Brazilian outfit Corinthians insist they have not yet struck a deal to sign Carlos Tevez from Manchester City.
• Aston Villa completed the signing of goalkeeper Shay Given from Manchester City last night as manager Alex McLeish made his first signing since taking over at Villa Park. The Republic of Ireland international had been heavily linked with a move to Celtic.
• Ivory Coast international Gervinho has joined Arsensal from Lille, for what is understood to be an 11 million fee, and will link up with the rest of the squad who have returned from a successful Asia tour.
• Derek Lyle has re-signed for Hamilton just six months after being released by them.
• Dundee boss Barry Smith has named Welsh international Rhys Weston as the club's new captain following Gary Harkins' move to Kilmarnock.
• Notts County boss Martin Allen is keen to sign former Hearts captain Robbie Neilson.
• Stranraer have signed former Morton player Nathan Shephard.
Love football? Bit bored? Easily pleased? If the answer to all these questions is 'yes' then you might like Burst Baw, the new football blog from scotsman.com.
• Follow the Burst Baw on Twitter
• Join the Burst Baw page on Facebook