SPFL Championship, L1 and L2 kick-off: Big wins for Dunfermline, Raith Rovers, Falkirk, Cove Rangers, Elgin and Edinburgh City

Season 2020-21 kicked off for the lower reacher of the SPFL pyramid this weekend following on from a big win for Hearts over Dundee last night.

Second goal for Falkirk from the penalty by Callumn Morrison (right) before Robbie Leitch (left) found the net in injury time. Picture: Michael Gillen
Second goal for Falkirk from the penalty by Callumn Morrison (right) before Robbie Leitch (left) found the net in injury time. Picture: Michael Gillen

Goals continued to flow freely across the three divisions of the senior football set-up returning to action, with 40 goals across the Championship and leagues one and two.

Dunfermline fought back from a goal down to see off Inverness Caledonian Thistleat East End Park with Euan Murray continuing his goalscoring form to cancel out Nikolay Todorov’s opener while Ryan Dow and Declan McManus added more to take the full complement of points.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Raith Rovers also hit three goals past Arbroath on their return to the second tier, Danny Armstong, Reghan Tumilty and Regan Hendry all struck before the interal for John McGlynn’s men.

Dunfermline's Declan McManus makes it 3-1 during a Scottish Championship match between Dunfermline Athletic and Inverness Caledonian Thistle at East End Park Stadium, on October 17, 2020, in Dunfermline, Scotland. (Photo by Euan Cherry / SNS Group)

Morton edged out Alloa 1-0 while a double for Michael Miller gave Ayr United the win over Queen of the South despite a second half penalty from Stephen Dobbie. The Doonhamers had Rangers loanee James Maxwell red-carded midway through the second half.

Falkirk enjoyed an opening day win for the first time in 13 attempts with a 3-1 win at Montrose, but the Bairns left it late.

Akeel Francis opened the scoring with a lob before Aidan Quinn levelled just after half-time. Former Hearts winger Calumn Morrison put David McCracken and Lee Miller’s side back ahead from the penalty spot five minutes before Robbie Leitch’s injury time strike.

Paul Hartley’s Cove Rangers saw off East Fife by the same scoreline with a double for Mitch Megginson and another from Leighton McIntosh enough to defeat Darren Young’s team.

Akeel Francis opened the scoring for Falkirk. Picture: Michael Gillen.

Title favourites Partick Thistle went down to rivals Clyde who won thanks to Ally Love’s second half goal. Airdrie also defeated Peterhead 2-0.

In League Two Edinburgh City were the day’s top scorers, hitting five in their rout over Brechin City – and a goal each from a handful of scorers.

Conrad Balatoni set the visitors ahead at Glebe Park and Liam Brown added a second after the interval. Michael Paton responded for Mark Wilson’s team but James McDonaugh’s side found the net again through Blair Henderson, Josh Campbell and then Daniel Jardine to go top of the table ahead of Elgin City who won 4-1 at Stranraer.

Stenhousemuir and Annan Athletic were also winners away from home, seeing off Albion Rovers and Cowdenbeath respectively.

Davie Irons’ Warriors won in Coatbridge with goals from Greig Spence, Creag Little and Botti Biabi before Kyle Doherty hit a late consolation for the home side. Jack Purdue, Iain Anderson and Nathan Flanagan were on target for the Galabankies on their trip to central Fife.

But amidst all the goals and high-scoring games, there were two starved of any strikes at all. Stirling Albion played out a goalless draw with Ray McKinnon’s Queen’s Park at Forthbank in League Two while it was also a blank for Dumbarton and Forfar Athletic at Station Park.

Last night Hearts were convincing winners over Dundee 6-2 at Tynecastle in the Championship.