Smith’s late stunner earns Latics Everton replay

Towering striker Matt Smith was again an FA Cup hero for Oldham as his last-gasp equaliser earned the npower League One strugglers a fifth-round FA Cup replay at Everton.

Smith, right, produced an all-action display to score twice in the Latics’ round four triumph over Liverpool but had been sidelined since with a shoulder injury sustained in the match. But the 23-year-old climbed off the bench to head home Jonathan Grounds’ corner in the fourth and final frantic minute of stoppage time.

The Latics – under caretaker manager Tony Philliskirk – had Everton reeling when on-loan Reading winger Jordan Obita gave them a 13th-minute lead.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Goals from Victor Anichebe and Phil Jagielka either side of half-time put David Moyes’ men in the driving seat but Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard was finally beaten as Smith prospered in a crowded penalty area.

James Henry and Rob Hulse shattered Luton’s FA Cup dreams to send Millwall through to the last eight with a 3-0 win at Kenilworth Road.

The Hatters stunned Norwich to make the fifth round and, at times, looked capable of pulling off another big upset against a side 67 places above them in the league ladder. A victory would have made Luton the first non-league side to make the quarter-finals in 99 years but Hulse hooked the ball over Mark Tyler from a tight angle after Henry had put the Lions ahead after a mistake by Jonas Kovacs. Dany N’Guessan got the third with five minutes left.

Kenny Jackett’s Lions now go into the hat for today’s quarter-final draw for the first time since their club-record run to Wembley nine years ago.

Chris Dagnall scored twice as Barnsley saw off MK Dons 3-1. First-half goals from Dagnall and former West Ham striker Marlon Harewood ensured the tie went with the form book, with Dagnall adding a third late on as David Flitcroft’s Tykes clinched their seventh win in their last eight matches.

The 2008 semi-finalists survived a spirited second-half recovery from MK Dons, who pulled a goal back through Dean Bowditch but could not make further inroads.

The second period was marred by a serious injury to Barnsley’s Kelvin Etuhu, before MK Dons striker Alan Smith was sent off in stoppage time.