Tottenham 1-0 Sheffield Utd: Spurs win first leg

ANDROS Townsend’s penalty saw Tottenham take control of their Capital One Cup semi-final with Sheffield United, although Nigel Clough will be buoyed heading into the second leg by his side’s impressive display at White Hart Lane.
ExLivingston midfielder Stefan Scougall, right, battles with Spurs striker Harry Kane. Picture: Nick Potts/PAExLivingston midfielder Stefan Scougall, right, battles with Spurs striker Harry Kane. Picture: Nick Potts/PA
ExLivingston midfielder Stefan Scougall, right, battles with Spurs striker Harry Kane. Picture: Nick Potts/PA

The Blades’ cup performances over the past year have belied their League One status, securing five Premier League scalps and reaching the last-four juncture of last season’s FA Cup and now this competition.

United looked like they would once again prove the scourge of top-flight opposition, only for Townsend’s second-half penalty to see Tottenham eke out a 1-0 win in north London.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It is a welcome cushion ahead of what is sure to be a combative second leg at Bramall Lane on Wednesday, especially if Clough’s men can match this performance.

United started brightly and frustrated Spurs in the first half, showing no ill-effects of the traffic-delayed arrival which saw kick-off put back until 8pm.

An Eric Dier header was the only shot on target either side could manage in a dull opening period, although Emmanuel Adebayor should have tested United goalkeeper Mark Howard as the half-time break approached.

The Togo striker, captaining the side on his first start since 2 November, was perhaps fortunate not to receive a red card before that after catching Louis Reed – and was once again booed by some Spurs fans.

His substitution proved a shrewd move as replacement Roberto Soldado quickly made an impact, with his presence causing Jay McEveley to flap an arm at the ball and referee Neil Swarbrick to point to the spot.

Townsend duly converted the penalty, much to the home faithful’s relief, although manager Mauricio Pochettino will know a much-improved display will be needed in the Steel City if Spurs are to reach the Wembley finale.

Neither United nor the home side were able to create clear-cut chances, though, with the only early moment of note saw appeals for the hosts to be reduced to ten men.

Clough and his coaching staff jumped off their seats after Adebayor caught Louis Reed’s face, although, after some deliberation, referee Swarbrick only dished out a yellow card.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It was a moment that sparked the match into life, with Spurs fan Jamal Campbell-Ryce fizzing a strike across the face of goal before Blades goalkeeper Howard palmed away a Dier header.

That was the north Londoners’ only shot on target during a tense first half in which former Livingston man Stefan Scougall fired just wide for the Blades after Ben Davies sloppily gave away possession.

United returned from the break with the same intensity, but were making an increasing number of mistakes. Fortunately for Clough’s men, Tottenham could not capitalise.

That lack of cutting edge saw Pochettino make a double change with 25 minutes remaining, with Mousa Dembele and Soldado replacing Ryan Mason and Adebayor, who was booed by some Spurs fans for the second successive match.

It did not take long for those alterations to have the desired effect, with Harry Kane freed up to take a shot blocked by Chris Basham, before Soldado earned a 74th minute penalty.

Jan Vertonghen clipped a diagonal ball to the Spain international and McEveley, who had been swinging his arm around claiming offside, clumsily handled. Townsend stepped up for the resulting spot-kick and, while it was far from a perfect penalty, it beat Howard down low to his left.