SFL Roundup: Mbu and McKenzie goals give Cowdenbeath breathing space

The Second Division reached the three-quarter mark of games played last night and leaders Cowdenbeath celebrated the occasion by moving four points clear of Arbroath after overcoming in-form Dumbarton 2-0.

The Blue Brazil got off to the perfect start when Marc McKenzie floated over a corner in the third minute and defender Joe Mbu rose to head home his first goal in almost two years.

McKenzie sealed the win 17 minutes from time with a low shot that nestled in the far corner of Stephen Grindlay’s net.

Fourth-placed Stenhousemuir travelled to Albion Rovers and they went down 1-0 to the bottom side with all the drama coming late in the game. Neither side could make a breakthrough until on-loan Rangers youngster Jack Werndly pounced on a bad pass back from Ross McMillan to net seven minutes from time.

A miserable evening for the Ochilview men was complete when Eric Paton saw an injury-time penalty saved.


Hide Ad

East Fife’s Robert Sloan kept up his recent fine run of goal- scoring by bagging two equalisers at New Bayview in his side’s 2-2 draw with fellow play-off chasers Brechin City. The visitors took the lead when former Methil man Paul McManus shot home on 21 minutes, but Sloan converted a penalty just three minutes later.

Brechin edged in front once more when David McKenna scored on 34 minutes, with Sloan firing in again just a few seconds before the half-time whistle. Neither Sloan nor anyone else could find a winner in the second-half.

Stirling Albion scored with just three minutes to go to rescue a point in their 2-2 draw with visitors Forfar, with both sides now just a point ahead of Albion Rovers.

Albion’s Mark Ferry opened the scoring in 18 minutes, however Stephen Tulloch headed in just after the hour mark to equalise. The Station Park side went ahead when Chris Templeman shot home from close range on 64 minutes, but Chris Hegarty’s dismissal – he was sent off just two minutes later – gave Albion hope and Daly McSorley duly netted from 18 yards to tie the scores.


Hide Ad

The Third Division meeting between hosts Elgin City and Annan Athletic ended in a 3-0 win for the home side and a six-point advantage over their visitors in fourth place.

Craig Gunn converted a Jason Crooks cross after 28 minutes and Daniel Moore’s free kick was deflected in seven minutes later to double Elgin’s advantage, with skipper David Niven heading in the clincher with 12 minutes to go.

Annan’s Jordan McKechnie was dismissed just before the end to complete a miserable night.