Second Division: Derby victory gives Cowdenbeath six-point cushion

Cowdenbeath began 2012 as they ended 2011 by extending their lead at the top of the Second Division with a 4-0 home success over neighbours East Fife, moving the home side six points clear of second-placed Arbroath.

Jordon Morton, who was playing his last game before returning to Hearts, marked the occasion in fine style when he opened the scoring after ten minutes gone when he thumped home from close on 30 yards.

East Fife defender John Ovenstone missed a chance for an equaliser before Central Park’s player/manager Colin Cameron added a second on the hour when his shot was deflected in. Mark Ramsay added the third with a well-placed shot with 15 minutes to go, before Marc McKenzie rounded things off in injury time.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

It was a sorry way for another two Hearts players to sign off, though, with goalkeeper Mark Ridgers and striker Rob Ogleby playing their last game on loan for East Fife.

Cowdenbeath can now look forward to a tilt at Hibernian on Saturday, with the struggling SPL side facing a difficult trip to Central Park on Scottish Cup duty.

Arbroath let a win over hosts Dumbarton slip through their hands as the Sons scored twice in the closing minutes to record a 3-2 win.

The home side opened the scoring in 20 minutes when Bryan Prunty beat Darren Hill with a header from six yards, with the Red Lichties levelling six minutes later when Brian Kerr’s pass allowed Steven Doris to run through and score. Arbroath then went ahead on 32 minutes when Liam Caddis headed down to Josh Falkingham and he netted with a well-struck drive from 18 yards.

Dumbarton drew level five minutes from time when centre back Alan Lithgow forced the ball home from six yards and, deep into injury time, substitute Pat Walker kept his cool to net with a low drive.

After five postponements and an abandonment Stirling Albion’s interim manager Greig McDonald finally took his team for a game, and it was worth the wait as Albion defeated third-placed Stenhousemuir 3-1 to move off the foot of the table.

All the goals came in the second half, with Alan Cook shooting Stirling into the lead before Gary Thom headed in the second with 21 minutes to go. Iain Thomson set up an exciting finish when he pulled a goal back, only for Joshua Flood to seal the points with a fine strike in injury time.

Airdrie United stay fourth and gained revenge for a 7-2 defeat in their last meeting with Albion Rovers by seeing off their Coatbridge visitors 1-0 thanks to Jamie Stevenson’s finely hit second-half winner.

Forfar sank to the foot of the table after losing 2-1 at Brechin, despite opening the scoring when Chris Templeman headed home in the first half.

Paul McManus scored twice in eight second-half minutes to keep the Glebe Park men on the fringes of the promotion play-off zone.