Scottish Cup round-up: Wick hit Coldstream for six

A ROUND-UP of this weekend’s Scottish Cup action, including a nine-goal thriller at Forres, a storming comeback by Preston and four red cards - all for one team - in Brora’s match with Vale of Leithen

Linlithgow Rose were given a stern test by Nairn but won through to the second round. Picture: Malcolm McCurrach
Linlithgow Rose were given a stern test by Nairn but won through to the second round. Picture: Malcolm McCurrach

The 18 ties in the first round of the William Hill Scottish Cup produced 68 goals and 16 winners who will find themselves in this afternoon’s draw for the second round. The triumphant sides will be joined in the hat by the ten teams from SPFL League Two. Highland League champions Cove Rangers and runners-up Formartine, East of Scotland winners Whitehill Welfare, and the South of Scotland League’s top side last season, Dalbeattie Star.

Brora Rangers 1 Vale of Leithen 0

Sign up to our Football newsletter

It would fair to say that Lowland League leaders Vale of Leithen made few friends in the north after having four men sent off in their meeting with Highland League table-toppers Brora. Visiting skipper James Young was first to go after a clash with Zander Sutherland, and John Ross Kerr quickly followed him after two yellow cards in quick succession. Keith Lough was dismissed with eight minutes left and Vale boss Chic McAleavy was sent to the stand before Scott Gormley became dismissal number four for dissent. Brora made the breakthrough late on when Steven McKay tapped home.

Coldstream 0 Wick Academy 6

Highland League Wick Academy ensured the furthest journey in the Scottish Cup was a worthwhile one as they made the return leg of their 620-mile round trip to Coldstream after securing a handsome win. Davie Allan paved the way with a first-half double before Gary Weir made it 3-0 with an hour played. The Streamers lost Josh Hebden to a red card on 64 minutes and Wick made the extra man count with Sam McKay adding a fourth. Craig Shearer grabbed two late goals, but Wick failed to match the nine goals they scored on their last visit to Coldstream back in 2011.

Deveronvale 5 Clachnacuddin 0

Deveronvale easily saw off their Inverness opponents, with Shawn Scott hitting a brace. Martin Charlesworth got things going with a fine finish on 29 minutes and Scott struck just before half-time when he added the last touch to a Graeme Rodger free kick that had deflected off Michael Finnis. Rodger made it three just after the break before Scott headed home a Connor 
Rennie cross. Graeme Watt completed the scoring for the Banff side in the last minute with a header.

Edinburgh University 0 Spartans 2

Spartans came out on top in the all-Edinburgh affair thanks to Donal Henretty’s double. They edged themselves ahead ten minutes from half-time when Henretty broke away from his marker to head home a Jack Beesley corner. The lead was doubled eight minutes later when the long-serving Henretty reached a cross from Ally MacKinnon and headed past Liam Valentine. The Students struggled to get back into things in the second half and rarely troubled the visiting defence.

Forres Mechanics 4 Keith 5

This tie was the highest-scoring of the round as it ended 5-4 in favour of the visitors, who twice hit back from being two goals behind to win. Forres led 2-0 thanks to Lee Fraser’s shot from 18 yards and Neil Whyte’s tap-in before parity was restored through Mark Wood’s goal and a controversial Jonny Smith penalty. Whyte’s second goal and a Simon Allan strike after the break had Forres 4-2 ahead, but Smith’s second from the spot, following Ross McPherson’s dismissal for handball, and a double by Andy McAskill took Keith through.

Fort William 0 Newton Stewart 0

Fort William will need to make a long trip south on Saturday in the bid to win their first-ever Scottish Cup tie, feeling that the journey should not be needed as Newton Stewart should have been seen off in this first meeting. Fort had the better of the first half but could not find a way through a determined defence and Newton almost sneaked away with a victory right at the end, only for James MacKay to pop up on the goalline in injury time to boot clear after a header looked to be sneaking in.

Huntly 3 Preston Athletic 4

Preston Athletic hit back after the Highland League side led 2-0 at half-time through goals by Andrzej Klecczkowski and Alexander Thoirs. Michael Osbourne started the comeback when he cut in from the wing to net five minutes into the second half and Gary McCormack’s quick-fire double had Preston in front for the first time. Sean Martin made it four with 13 minutes left, only for Marek Madle to pull a goal back with two minutes left.

Fraserburgh 4 Civil Service Strollers 0

Scott Barbour was the star man for Fraserburgh, scoring a hat-trick as all the goals came in the second half. Barbour netted on 54 minutes from close range and took advantage of hesitancy in the visiting defence to poke home his second three minutes later. Willie West sent home a cutback with eight minutes left before Barbour showed great coolness to complete his treble in the dying stages as he drew the Strollers goalkeeper off his line before slotting home.

Gala Fairydean Rovers 3 Glasgow University 1

The Netherdale side had to come from behind after the Glasgow amateurs stunned their hosts by going ahead after just two minutes when Mark Solley shot home. It took until midway through the first half for Gala to level, with Marc Berry equalising on 26 minutes. A replay looked on the cards until 15 minutes from time when Jason Ingles headed the hosts ahead. Stuart Noble sealed the win with five minutes left when his shot hit both posts before going over the line.

Girvan 1 Auchinleck Talbot 5

The all-Ayrshire Juniors tie went as expected, with favourites Auchinleck 
Talbot proving too strong. David Gormley started things off when he turned and shot home after just eight minutes and Keir Milliken then took over the scoring when he knocked in a rebound on 42 minutes, and then headed in five minutes after the break. Craig Harvey’s free kick provided a consolation for the hosts before Milliken struck his third of the afternoon. Substitute Mick McCann wrapped things up in injury time with a fierce drive.

Golspie Sutherland 0 Edinburgh City 4

Edinburgh City made the long trip north a pleasant one as Ian McFarland helped himself to a hat-trick against the Highlanders, who finished with only nine men. McFarland struck twice in the opening 13 minutes and completed his treble just after the break to put the result out of Golspie’s reach. Grant 
Vanson scored the goal of the game when he crashed home a shot from 40 yards out. There was no further scoring despite Macleod and Christie being 
dismissed for the hosts.

Hawick Royal Albert 0 St Cuthbert Wanderers 1

Kirkcudbright side St Cuthbert Wanderers sneaked away from the Borders with a 1-0 success in a game where both goalkeepers were on top form. Grant Middlemiss’s well-struck volley after half an hour would prove to be the only goal, with the Wanderers being denied further goals by Hawick shot-stopper Andy Noble who blocked from Craig Rudd on three separate occasions. Hawick laid siege to their visitors’ goal in the closing stages and thought they had grabbed an equaliser when Kevin Strathdee shot for goal, but Jack Johnstone pulled off a magnificent stop.

Inverurie Loco Works 3 Burntisland Shipyard 0

The foundations for Inverurie Loco Works’ win were laid by Dean Donaldson, who netted with a volley just before half-time. Donaldson added a second from the penalty spot just at the start of the second half after his burst in the Shipyard box was ended by Stephen Connor’s trip. The Locos player’s dreams of a hat-trick were ended when he was substituted with 20 minutes left and his replacement, Andrew Hunter, provided the final goal when he slotted home from a tight angle in injury time.

Linlithgow Rose 2 Nairn County 0

Rose produced a fine result for the 
Junior game as they defeated big-spending Highland League side Nairn County Prestonfield. Nairn had started well and Sean Webb had the ball in the net, but his effort was ruled out for offside. The game turned Rose’s way just before half-time when Wayne McIntosh headed past his own goalkeeper. County 
rallied in the second half and Robbie Duncanson had an effort cleared off the line with Conor Gethins, Daniel Moore and Stuart Leslie going close before Steven Meechan’s late volley ensured that the hosts would progress.

Lossiemouth 0 Culter 0

Lossiemouth and Culter will need to play again next weekend after their first meeting ended in a goalless draw. Culter had got lost on their way to the game, but looked to have been given a passage into the next round when Ian Leith was sent tumbling in the box by a reckless Grant Mitchell challenge. The normally-deadly Jamie McAllister stepped up to take the kick, but his effort was pushed away by Errol Watson to ensure that the Highland League side get a second bite of the cherry against their Junior rivals.

Selkirk 1 Turriff United 3

Turriff, who are competing in the Scottish Cup for only the second time, won 3-1 at Selkirk with Gary McGowan’s second-half double taking them through against a spirited home side. Cameron Bowden broke the deadlock just a minute before the end of a very even first-half. However, the Yarrow Park side levelled through a Jacob Crolla goal just before the hour mark. McGowan netted from the penalty spot with 15 minutes left to put Turriff back in control and McGowan then sent a left-foot volley home from a tight angle to secure the win.

Threave Rovers 3 Rothes 0

Threave Rovers made Rothes’ long journey home an even more arduous one after Steven Degnan’s double and Greg Laurie’s goal gave them a 3-0 success. The visitors could have taken a first-half lead when Sean McIntosh sent a shot goalward, but his effort came crashing back off the post and Threave took full advantage with two goals in seven second-half minutes. Degnan beat the offside trap to put Threave in the driving seat on 55 minutes and he doubled their lead six minutes from time. Home goalkeeper Vinny Parker denied Scott Dunn before Laurie sealed his side’s 
success nine minutes from time.

Wigtown and Bladnoch 3 Buckie Thistle 4

Buckie triumphed despite a late rally from four goals down by the hosts that almost produced a replay. Lewis MacKinnon opened the scoring after just two minutes and Fraser Forbes shot home to make it 2-0. A Chris Angus goal made it 3-0 at the interval. Jimmy Shewan made it four early in the second half and Thistle moved down a couple of gears as Ian Miller grabbed a goal for Wigtown with 20 minutes left. Adam Dougan gave them fresh hope with a goal five minutes before full-time. However, Rab Jamieson’s injury-time strike was just too little and too late for the hosts.