Scottish Cup: Fort William savour victory

The first round of the 
William Hill Scottish Cup produced some historic moments with Fort William claiming the biggest honour with their first ever success.

The fight is on for the  Scottish Cup. Picture: Robert Perry
The fight is on for the  Scottish Cup. Picture: Robert Perry
The fight is on for the Scottish Cup. Picture: Robert Perry

The Lochaber men won 3-2 at Preston Athletic to be included in Thursday’s draw. Donald MacPhee gave Fort the lead after ten minutes and John MacLeod made it 2-0 at the start of the second half only for Juan Belope to hit back instantly.

MacLeod added a third with an hour gone while Reece Cochrane reduced the deficit with just three minutes to play.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale also created history with a 3-0 success over junior side Kelty Hearts with Darren Smith, Ritchie Wilkes and John Kerr getting their goals.

Broomhill Sports Club will need to wait until next weekend to see if they win their first ever tie after a 2-2 draw with junior side Auchinleck Talbot. Buckie Thistle enjoyed a 7-0 romp over Rothes while Inverurie Locos won 5-1 at Keith where Andy Hunter and David Ross both scored twice and Colin Charlesworth also netted with Craig Cormack’s penalty the consolation for the hosts.

Clachnacuddin won 5-0 at managerless Deveronvale andForres triumphed 4-1 at Lossiemouth. Roy McBain’s last-gasp goal won the Aberdeen derby for Cove Rangers against junior side Banks O’Dee 3-2.

Despite Gretna 2008 taking the lead at Formartine United, goals by Dean Smith, Johnny Crawford and Garry Wood won the day for the hosts.

Fraserburgh edged out Dalbeattie Star 3-2

Huntly won 3-0 at Hawick and Nairn County defeated Selkirk 5-1.

Edinburgh University won 2-1 at Strathspey where Jack Guthrie scored twice after Josh Peters had netted in the first half. Wick Academy drew 2-2 with Whitehill Welfare while Spartans thrashed Coldstream 5-1. A Chris Geddes hat-trick sealed a 3-1 win for Stirling University over Threave Rovers and Cumbernauld Colts beat Glasgow University 3-0.