Ryan Hedges adds the gloss as emphatic Aberdeen put six past Runavik

Welsh sub nets second-half hat-trick
Aberdeen's Ryan Hedges celebrates his hat-trick. Picture: SNSAberdeen's Ryan Hedges celebrates his hat-trick. Picture: SNS
Aberdeen's Ryan Hedges celebrates his hat-trick. Picture: SNS

Substitute Ryan Hedges bagged a second-half hat-trick as Aberdeen sealed their place in the Europa League second qualifying round with an emphatic 6-0 win over Faroese side NSI Runavik.

Lewis Ferguson’s header and a close-range finish from Curtis Main had the Dons 2-0 up at the interval and Hedges added two more in the opening 15 minutes of the second half before Jonny Hayes struck a stunning fifth.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Hedges completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot in the dying stages of the game as the Dons romped home ahead of their trip to Hibernian in the Scottish Premiership on Sunday.

Aberdeen survived an early injury scare after Scott Wright took a knock to the wrist in the opening minutes, but he was able to continue and would go on to impress.

Indeed, he and Main had the first two openings, and the pair would combine on the half-hour mark with only a good block by Runavik defender Johan Davidsen preventing Main opening the scoring.

However, the deadlock was soon broken. Andrew Considine was the provider with a neat chipped cross from the left which Lewis Ferguson met six yards out to head past Tordur Thomsen.

The lead was doubled six minutes later as Wright spun his man on the right before sending in a teasing ball across goal that was missed by Marley Watkins at the near post but turned home from close range by Main at the back.

Hedges replaced Main at the interval and was immediately involved in the action, creating a chance for Dylan McGeouch in the first minute of the second period, but it was Hedges himself who was on hand to prod home after Thomsen spilled a Hayes cross and the ball came off defender Rogvi Nielsen.

Wright was the provider when Hedges made it 4-0 just before the hour, turning the ball back from the centre of the penalty area for the Welshman to drill a left-footed strike home from 18 yards.

That was a good finish, but he was outdone by Hayes, who lashed high into the net from the edge of the area after Matty Kennedy was crowded out.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The match went into a bit of a lull as a number of substitutions broke up the flow of the game, but Hedges completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot after Ferguson had been fouled by Nielsen, four minutes from the end of normal time.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to scotsman.com and enjoy unlimited access to Scottish news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.scotsman.com/subscriptions now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Joy Yates

Editorial Director



Want to join the conversation? Please or to comment on this article.