Rumour Mill: Celtic close in on Chelsea kid | Caixinha bans green boots | Hibs keen on Berry
Celtic set for £5m Musonda bid
Celtic are closing in on a deal for Chelsea youngster Charly Musonda, according to reports.
The Hoops were linked with the Belgian-born attacking midfielder in May, but are said to be homing in on a £5 million deal to bring the 20-year-old to Glasgow.
Musonda spent time on loan at Real Betis last season but Brendan Rodgers could be preparing to break Celtic’s transfer record to sign the player. (Various)
Caixinha bans green boots
The Portuguese boss explained: “From today, no one will wear boots of that colour because it is the colour of Celtic.
“The slogan ‘We are the People’ will be stamped on the walls for both our players and opponents to feel the strength of Rangers.” (Sunday Mail)
Hibs swoop for Berry
Hibernian could be set to spend £250,000 on Cambridge United midfielder Luke Berry, after stealing a march on fellow interested parties Portsmouth and Millwall.
Berry scored 22 goals last season for the Us, including four in one game, and made it into the League Two team of the season.
Neil Lennon is thought to be keen on bolstering his midfield and Hibs could make their move for Berry in the next few days. (Various)
Naismith ‘sorry’ for new club remark
Steven Naismith has insisted he only described former club Rangers as a new club in 2012 because he was being ‘guided on what to say’.
Naismith added: “At the time, I was panicking about the legal situation, ‘If I say this, they can do that.’ You were walking a tightrope, worried about what to say from a legal side of things.”
And Naismith admitted he’d jump at the chance to return to Govan, saying: “I would never say never because if I was coming back to Scotland then personally I would love it.” (Various)
Man United fans divided over Tierney talk
Fans of Manchester United appear divided over talk linking their side with a £15 million move for Celtic defender Kieran Tierney - with one fan even describing him as a ‘poor man’s Alan Hutton’.
Yet other fans believe that the highly-rated Tierney could be a good fit - if he can cope with the step up at Old Trafford.
With Jose Mourinho seemingly not a fan of Luke Shaw, United could look to test Celtic’s resolve with a bid in this transfer window. (Various)
Sunderland to battle Gers for Dorrans
Sunderland could be set to join the race for Norwich midfielder Graham Dorrans.
The Scot has long been linked with the Ibrox side, with a bid from Rangers reportedly accepted earlier this week.
But Sunderland’s interest could be too late, with boyhood Rangers fan Dorrans closing in on a move to Ibrox. (Daily Mail)
St Johnstone adamant they can overturn Euro tie
St Johnstone’s Graham Cummins is adamant that the McDiarmid Park side can travel to Lithuania and advance to the next stage of the Europa League competition.
FK Trakai scored two priceless away goals in Perth as they eked out a 2-1 win over Saints - but Cummins, who missed a handful of gilt-edged chances last week, is setting his sights on overturning the deficit.
Cummins insisted: “There’s no point dwelling on it. I feel I’ve let the team down but at least there’s a chance to put it right in Lithuania. I’ve got to try to redeem myself. We have to go there and score two goals.” (Scotland on Sunday)
• St Johnstone have bolstered their striking options with the acquisition of Callum Hendry, son of former Scotland captain Colin, who has been freed by Blackburn Rovers
NEWS IN BRIEF
• Andrew Shinnie, who spent last season on loan with Hibernian, has joined Luton Town on loan from Birmingham City
• Celtic drew 1-1 with Rapid Vienna yesterday, a Moussa Dembele penalty cancelling out a penalty for the Austrian side
• English Premier League side Brighton are weighing up a £1 million move for ex-Ross County and Celtic midfielder Jackson Irvine, currently at Burton Albion
• Partick Thistle have signed Niall Keown on a permanent deal after the defender impressed on loan last season
• Gary Locke has returned to Hearts in a matchday ambassador capacity, taking over from John Robertson
• Hearts have dropped their interest in Motherwell midfielder Chris Cadden