Dundee 1 - 1 Rangers: Peralta nets first Gers goal

RANGERS’ Honduran midfielder Arnold Peralta celebrated his first goal for his new club as the Ibrox side denied Dundee a ­morale-boosting win on the ­occasion of their 120th anniversary celebrations.

Rangers' Arnold Peralta battles for the ball against Ryan Conroy. Picture: SNS

Scorers: Dundee - Gallacher 42; Rangers - Peralta 60

Referee: G Aitken. Attendance: 5,244

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Peralta, one of manager Ally McCoist’s many summer signings, produced an impressive second-half free kick to cancel out Declan Gallagher’s first-half headed opener as both sides gained a more than worthwhile run-out in this friendly match at Dens Park before embracing the real issue of the competitive stuff in the coming months.

Rangers were true to their word by fielding all eight new arrivals to give their fans a glimpse of what to expect in the season ahead.

McCoist’s new-look side were at full strength with former Dundee United star Jon Daly receiving a less than warm welcome from the home fans on his return to Tayside.

The Dark Blues had former Gers men Gavin Rae and Peter MacDonald in their line-up as they attempted to show why they have been made favourites to lift the First Division title and seal a speedy return to the SPFL. And they began as though they had a point to prove.

Kevin McBride crossed early on for Ryan Conroy and his left-foot drive from an angle went just over Cammy Bell’s crossbar.

Then, a minute later, Carlo Monti and Jim McAlister combined to set up Nicky Riley whose shot from close range went just wide.

Rangers responded through Honduran ace Peralta who surged down the right and fired in a snap-shot which home goalkeeper Kyle Letheren did well to touch over the bar. Then, in 25 minutes, Riley’s whipped free kick was headed over the bar by MacDonald as the hosts probed for an opener.

Just after that there was a massive roar as former Rangers star Nacho Novo made his way in to take his place among the visiting support.

The Spanish fans’ favourite, who had a spell at Dundee before winning a dream move to Ibrox, was given a rapturous reception.

Nicky Clark came close for the visitors just before the break when he headed off the woodwork.

The former Queen of the South attacker was the first to react to a deflected David Templeton free kick which came spinning off the Dundee defensive wall, but was foiled by the woodwork. In 41 minutes Monti almost broke the deadlock as he picked up possession and rifled in a 25-yard effort which Bell tipped over his bar.

But from the resultant corner, Riley’s corner was met by Gallagher who flashed a near-post header high into the net.

Dundee created a gilt-edged chance to make it 2-0 through Riley early in the second-half.

Riley played a slick one-two with Jim McAlister which cut open the Rangers defence but just as he was about pull the trigger from eight yards, Gers’ new defender Belil Mohsni got across to put in a last-gasp challenge.

But in 60 minutes Rangers made it 1-1.

Dundee defender Iain Davidson fouled Templeton 25 yards from goal.

Up stepped Peralta and he showed his class by curling an inch-perfect free kick high past Letheren who was left helpless.

Jamie Reid, the Dundee substitute, almost won it in the closing minutes but his ambitious effort from long-range was just too high.

Dundee: Letheren, Lockwood, Davidson, Riley, McBride, MacDonald, Rae, Conroy, Monti, Gallagher, McAlister

Rangers: Bell, Foster, Smith, McAusland, Mohsni, Gasparotto, Peralta, Law, Daly, Clark, Templeton