Hateley, who formed a formidable attack with McCoist during the nine-in-a-row era, has furiously denied claims he has been working on behalf of the Rangers board in a bid to find ways to undermine McCoist.
There were rumours that the former England international had contacted a former player about the Ibrox manager’s coaching methods.
Hateley - who attended the 2-0 defeat to Queen of the South at Palmerston Park last week in the company of James and Sandy Easdale - is adamant that he has not stabbed his former team-mate in the back.
He told the Daily Record: “I’m astonished, angered and hurt by claims that have been made in a newspaper this morning.
“I have already contacted the football club to get this situation addressed immediately.
“I have also tried to phone [Ally] this morning to explain to him that this is simply untrue.”
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTSMAN
• Subscribe to our daily newsletter (requires registration) and get the latest news, sport and business headlines delivered to your inbox every morning
But it is understood that McCoist blanked Hateley, and is said to be furious at the alleged actions of the former AC Milan striker.
Reports suggest McCoist has been informed by some current Rangers players that Hateley has tried to contact them.
McCoist held talks with Derek Llambias and Sandy Easdale on Wednesday to clarify his future at the club after handing in his notice last week.
But less than an hour later, the former Rangers striker emerged with the situation unchanged and a ‘business as usual’ approach adopted.
McCoist is expected to take the team for the visit of Livingston on Saturday.
SCOTSMAN TABLET AND IPHONE APPS