Rangers issued a strongly worded statement last night expressing their “disgust” at Saturday’s events and criticising Hibs and the Scottish Football Association for failing to “condemn Hibernian’s supporters”.
Footage on social media has shown Rangers fans also invading the pitch and pockets of trouble breaking out between rival fans.
Police said 11 people had been arrested for minor offences, while Hibs vowed to co-operate with any investigation after Rangers said some of their players and staff had been assaulted.
Hibs chairman Rod Petrie, who is the vice-president of the SFA, put the scenes down to “over-exuberance” in the immediate aftermath and described them as “unacceptable”.
A club statement later confirmed Hibs would “co-operate fully into any inquiry into the pitch invasion which followed the club’s historic Scottish Cup win at Hampden Park”.
It added: “The club reiterates its regret at the events which unfolded immediately following the final whistle.
“Hibernian always seeks to maintain high standards, and we will work with the authorities to identify any supporter who may have taken part in any form of unacceptable behaviour which has tarnished the club’s reputation.
“Hibernian will work with Police Scotland, Hampden Park Stadium management, the Scottish FA, Rangers FC and any other relevant parties to bring those responsible to book.”
Rangers players were handed their medals in the dressing room, while Hibs’ heroes had a long wait to lift the trophy as the pitch was cleared and the lap of honour had to be cancelled.
Chief Superintendent Kenny MacDonald from Police Scotland said: “An investigation team has now been established at Helen Street police office. So far there have been 11 arrests for minor offences.
“Officers are in the process of collecting CCTV footage and collating the information that has been gathered at this stage as they try to identify those responsible for the disorder and violence on the pitch.
“As our investigation progresses I have no doubt that additional arrests will be made and would appeal to anyone with information that may assist police inquiries to come forward.
“If there are any images or video footage of incidents on the pitch involving violence or disorder, please contact officers at the inquiry team through the non-emergency number 101.
“Alternatively contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, where anonymity can be maintained.”
In an angry statement last night, Rangers hit out at Hibs, the SFA, BBC and even First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.
It read: “Rangers finds it incomprehensible that no-one, either from within the Scottish FA or Hibernian Football Club, has condemned Hibernian’s supporters following the violent scenes at the end of Saturday’s Scottish Cup final when Rangers players and members of our backroom staff were physically and verbally assaulted.
“We have not even had the courtesy of any contact whatsoever from Hibernian to ask after the wellbeing of those who were attacked by their club’s supporters.
“There must be a full independent investigation into the shameful scenes at Hampden. Rangers is also at a complete loss to understand why certain individuals have hastily attempted to gloss over the appalling events which unfolded at the end of Saturday’s final.
“It must also be said that it was not at all helpful to see leading members of the Scottish Government, including the First Minister whose parish is Govan, passing comment on social media without any attempt to condemn the behaviour of Hibernian’s fans.
“These failures are unbecoming of our elected representatives.”
It added: “Rangers demands that players, staff and fans be protected from the violence and hatred of supporters of other clubs.
“Rangers fully expects the Scottish FA and Police Scotland to take action to provide our people with a safe environment.
After the game on Saturday, Rangers said they were shocked at the “disgraceful” behaviour of Hibs fans and left the stadium without giving any interviews.
Meanwhile, British Transport Police are investigating after a Rangers fan was knocked unconscious at Haymarket station on Saturday night.
The 37-year-old was taken to hospital after being punched in the face as he waited for a train on platform three around 9.45pm.
One male attacker is described as being approximately 6ft tall, of medium build with light ginger hair and was wearing grey jeans and a black polo-neck jumper.
Another man was wearing a black tartan shirt and a Hibs scarf and had facial hair.
Police are calling for witnesses to contact them.
Detective Constable Lorna White said: “We would like to appeal for anyone who was at the station and who witnessed the assault to come forward and contact British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40 or by texting 61016.
“Information can also be given to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”