Paisley footballer, 20, dies after seizure

A 20-year-old amateur football has died after collapsing during a match.

Kevin Duffy, 20, who tragically died after collapsing while playing

Celtic fan Kevin Duffy, from Paisley, Renfewshire, was playing for Langcraigs Amateurs against New Meadow AFC in Glasgow on Saturday when he had a seizure.

The midfielder’s teammates desperate performed CPR as they waited for an ambulance but he was pronounced dead a short time later at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A post mortem will be held to determine his cause of death.

Kevin’s parents James and Karen, and brothers Michael and Jamies, have been left devastated by the loss.

Mr Duffy said: “He was so well liked. You only have to go on his Facebook to see how much he meant to people. He was well loved and a genuinely good boy.

“He loved football and was a Celtic fan. He would normally play in midfield or up front.

Read More

Read More
Weapons amnesty begins ahead of new ownership laws

“We are still waiting for the post mortem to find out what happened. We can’t get anything organised until that’s done.”

Langcraigs manager David Reid told the Record: “Kevin was one of the best-liked boys I’ve ever met in my life.

“One lad who worked with him said that if you were having a bad day, you’d walk up to Kevin and within 30 seconds you would have a smile on your face.

“He was just one of these boys that could light up somebody’s day whether it was a wee comment or a joke.

“He was just a happy guy who loved his football. One of the happiest guys you’ll meet.”

Kevin, a crematorium worker, had played for the side for around eight years.

Mr Reid added that there had been “no warning signs” before he collapsed during the first half of the match at Glasgow Green Football Centre.

He said: “The referee was standing right next to him, so he immediately blew the whistle and signalled over to the sidelines.

“Everybody ran on. It looked as of he was having a seizure and he was non-responsive by that time. There was no response out of him at all.”

David continued: “One of the New Meadow guys called an ambulance as we put him in the recovery position.

“He was wheezy at that point but still breathing. But then the breathing stopped and the boys immediately started doing CPR.

“The guys were working on him until the ambulance arrived, then the paramedics took over.”

As well as messages on social media, tributes, football stripes and flowers have been left at the football pitch where Kevin died.