McInnes admits Aberdeen off pace in County clash

ABERDEEN manager Derek McInnes felt his team were not up to speed in a 1-0 defeat to Ross County at Global Energy Stadium.

Derek McInnes: 'I didnt think we got to the levels we are capable of'. Picture: Ian Rutherford
Derek McInnes: 'I didnt think we got to the levels we are capable of'. Picture: Ian Rutherford

County picked up their third home victory of the season thanks to a wonderful goal from Rocco Quinn which ended Aberdeen’s six-match unbeaten run.

There was not much to pick between the teams but Quinn notched the winner seven minutes into the second half when the midfielder found the back of the net with a stunning strike.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

The victory lifted Ross on to ten points, four points behind fourth-placed Aberdeen.

McInnes said: “We are obviously disappointed. I didn’t think we got to the levels we are capable of. There wasn’t enough pace generated from us until we went behind.

“If we started the game the way we finished it we could have had a better outcome.

“We weren’t out-fought or out-worked. But the disappointing part was we didn’t cause enough problems to the opposition and bring the level of performance we are capable of.

“The players’ desire and willingness to get a goal was a bit rushed I would have liked to have seen a bit more poise and a bit more control.”

McInnes said he felt for the big away support: “We had a great travelling support but we didn’t do enough to send them home happy. Results like today’s suggest there is still work to be done,” he said.

County manager Derek Adams said: “It was a very good victory, thoroughly deserved. If we were two or three up at the break it would have been fair.

“I thought we played very well today. Aberdeen got out of the game what they deserved – nothing.

Quinn admitted celebrating his goal-bound winner before it hit the back of the net, so sure was he that the effort was unstoppable. The midfielder ran on to a Melvin De Leeuw pass and fired high into the net.

Despite an all-out assault on the home goal in the final stages, which included more than five minutes of injury time, County goalkeeper Mark Brown was never seriously threatened as the Dingwall men held out for all three points.

Quinn said: “I think I was already celebrating before I put the ball in the net. The ball ran a bit further than I thought it was going to, so I had to get on to it a bit quicker but, once I got the touch, I just made sure I hit the target.

“I put the laces through it as hard as I could.”

Aberdeen’s Ryan Jack said: “We had a few chances to get something but we shouldn’t have got ourselves in that position in the first place.

“We lacked enthusiasm. The management team did everything they could all week to get us ready for the game. We let them down, the fans down and let ourselves down as well. We never started until they scored.”