League Two: Wright double keeps East Stirling top

East Stirling remain top of the table after Max Wright scored a double in a 2-1 win over Clyde at Broadwood.

Max Wright: two-goal hero. Picture: Lisa McPhillips/JP
Max Wright: two-goal hero. Picture: Lisa McPhillips/JP

The surprise early pacesetters looked to have run out of steam when they crashed to a heavy defeat against Peterhead last time out, but the Shire showed they are made of stern stuff as they ground out a hardfought win.

All the goals came in the 
second half, with Wright prodding the ball home on 49 minutes after a Michael Bolochoweckyj header had been blocked. The Bully Wee levelled through John Sweeney with 14 minutes left.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

But the visitors weren’t to be denied and, just a minute later, Wright beat goalkeeper Jamie Barclay in a race for the ball and poked home the winner.

Shire head coach John Coughlin said: “We could have let our heads go down after losing 4-1 to Peterhead and we could have let our heads go down after Clyde’s equaliser. Thankfully, the players didn’t do that and we have secured another good away win.”

Opposite number Jim Duffy said: “I am bitterly disappointed to lose the game in the manner we did. We got ourselves level and then gave away a goal really quickly through defensive 
mistakes. Indecision and ball watching cost us dearly.”

Berwick moved into second place after a 2-0 win at
Albion Rovers, with second half goals by Kenny O’Brien and Scott Dalziel doing the damage. O’Brien netted a fine solo 
effort from a tight angle on 62 minutes with Dalziel thumping home in injury time.

Ally Love scored in the first half and David Hopkirk in the second as Annan won 2-0 at Stirling Albion to move Jim Chapman’s side to within a point of their third-placed hosts.

After a slow start, Peterhead are up to fourth following a 2-1 success at home to Queen’s Park, the only side in the country still looking for their first point. Tony Quinn had shot the Spiders in front on 24 minutes, but Rory McAllister headed a leveller before the break and Fraser McLaren sealed victory in the second half.

Elgin City drew 3-3 at home to
Montrose in a game in which the lead changed hands three times. Bryan Deasley’s 25-yard shot had Montrose 1-0 up at half-time, but a 20-minute spell in the second half featured five goals and the dismissal of home captain David Niven, who had levelled the scoring before Ross
McKinnon put Elgin in front.

Lloyd Young equalised for Montrose after Niven’s dismissal, and a second goal by Deasley looked to have the points heading for Links Park until Sean Crighton squared things with 
11 minutes left.