League Two round-up: Forfar and Arbroath suffer setbacks

Forfar's recent poor run continued as they went down 3-2 at Station Park to a resurgent Berwick Rangers. The visitors took the lead through a Pat Scullion header seven minutes in but Danny Denholm, pictured, pulled the hosts level just before the break. The second half was to belong to Berwick though as a quick fire brace of goals from Aaron Murrell and Greg Rutherford saw them take a vital three points as they held on despite a late David Cox strike for the home men.

Danny Denholm pulled the hosts level just before the break. Picture: Paul Devlin/SNS

Second-placed Arbroath could not take advantage of Forfar’s slip as they went down 1-0 to Montrose at Gayfield Park. The hosts had dominated the game only to be hit by a sucker punch when Gary Fraser scored with the visitors first shot on target with just five minutes remaining.These results allowed Annan to move up to third as they deepened Cowdenbeath’s relegation worries running out 1-0 victors at Galabank. It was a tight affair with Aidan Smith proving the match winner finding the net in the 76th minute after both sides had seen penalties saved first Peter Weatherson missing for the hosts then Fraser Mullen for the visitors.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Another of the promotion chasing sides, Elgin, also tasted defeat being comprehensively beaten 3-0 at Meadowbank by Edinburgh City. Dougie Gair helped himself to a double either side of the half-time break and Jordan Caddow finished the scoring in the 85th minute in a result that sees City move seven clear of bottom club Cowdenbeath.

Second-bottom Clyde could not give themselves the same breathing space as they went down 3-2 to Stirling at Broadwood despite being in front twice in the match. Player boss Peter MacDonald had put the Bully Wee in front in the 25th minute but this effort was to be nullified by Darren Smith shortly after the break. David Gormley made no mistake from the spot to put the hosts back in front but two goals in three minutes first from Ross Kavanagh then by that man Smith again gave Dave Mackay’s men the spoils.