League One round up: Bad day for Jim Goodwin

Livingston maintained their position at the top of the table despite falling to a surprise 2-1 home defeat by Peterhead yesterday.

Alloa manager Jim Goodwin had a day to forget, scoring an own goal and then getting sent off. Picture: Lisa Ferguson

Leighton Mackintosh put the visitors ahead in the 37th minute and this lead was doubled in the 74th minute when Scott Brown found the net. The hosts looked to pull something back and were given a lifeline in the 80th minute, with Liam Buchanan firing home. However, the Blue Toon held firm and were delighted to leave Almondvale with the three points.

A fifth straight win saw Airdrie move up to second as they dispatched Alloa 2-1 at the Excelsior Stadium. Alloa player/boss Jim Goodwin will not need to look any further than himself if he is wanting someone to blame, putting the ball through his own net on the half hour. Andy Ryan added to this in first-half stoppage time. Things went from bad to worse for Goodwin as he saw red in the 53rd minute. Despite this, his charges pulled a goal back through Scott Taggart in the 67th minute but the home men used the extra man advantage to see out the victory.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

At the bottom end, Queen’s Park gave themselves breathing space over the play-off relegation spot, running out 2-1 victors at East Fife. Adam Cummins put the Spiders in front on 22 minutes but a Jamie Insall effort late in the first half brought the Methil men level. Gus Macpherson’s men were not to be denied, though, and a 54th-minute Ross Millen penalty was enough to secure the points.

Stranraer also eased their relegation worries with a 3-1 victory over bottom side Stenhousemuir. The two sides went in at half-time level after Stenny’s Ally Roy had cancelled out a Steven Bell opener.

The home men pulled away in the second half, though, as goals from Ryan Thomson and on-loan Aberdeen striker Joe Nuttall saw them ease to the three points.

Brechin’s match against Albion Rovers was off due to a frozen pitch.