League 2: Four points separate top eight

The top of the table is becoming congested with only four points separating eight sides but East Stirlingshire remain in pole position despite losing 4-1 at home to Albion Rovers.
East Stirlingshire manager John Coughlin. Picture: Johnston PressEast Stirlingshire manager John Coughlin. Picture: Johnston Press
East Stirlingshire manager John Coughlin. Picture: Johnston Press

Mick Dunlop and a Chris Dallas double put Rovers 3-0 ahead at the break. Paul Quinn pulled a goal back from the penalty spot before being sent off five minutes from time and Mark McGuigan completed the scoring for Albion.

Rovers manager James Ward said: “We had lost our last couple of games so I was looking for a reaction. I am delighted that I got one as winning at the home of the league leaders shows the potential in this squad.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Home head coach John Coughlin said: “That is our second 4-1 defeat at home in a row and it is disappointing to let the fans down again..”

Shire’s lead is now one point after Darren Lavery’s last-minute equaliser for Berwick Rangers denied Stirling Albion the chance to pull level at the top. David Weatherston’s angled drive had fired the Forthbank men ahead.

Clyde won away for the first time this season, with John Sweeney’s penalty earning a 2-1 success at Annan.

Ryan Frances bundled home a Kieran MacDonald free-kick to give the visitors the lead before Annan levelled when Peter Weatherson headed home.

The decisive moment came on 48 minutes when Weatherson fouled former Annan player Michael Daly and Sweeney did an immaculate job from the spot.

Montrose made it four games without defeat when they came from behind to defeat Peterhead 2-1 at Links Park.

Rory McAllister fired the Blue Toon ahead on 14 minutes, but former Balmoor player Bryan Deasley lobbed an equaliser before the break, then shot home the winner with ten minutes to go.

Queen’s Park picked up their first point of the season thanks to substitute Joao Vitoria’s goal in their 3-3 draw with visitors Elgin.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Dennis Wyness and Craig Gunn had Elgin two ahead after 20 minutes, but Tony Quinn’s penalty brought Queen’s alive. Paul Harkins made it 3-1, then Quinn scored again before half-time and Vitoria levelled with 13 minutes left after a blunder by Jamie Duff.