League 1: Andy Geggan keeps Pars in pursuit

Dunfermline continue to be the closest challenger to leaders Rangers after Andy Geggan’s late goal secured a 2-1 success over Airdrie at East End Park.
Dunfermline's Andy Geggan. Picture: SNSDunfermline's Andy Geggan. Picture: SNS
Dunfermline's Andy Geggan. Picture: SNS

The Pars had the better of the first half, but could not find a breakthrough and breathed a sigh of relief when a free kick by former favourite Martin Hardie went over the bar.

The deadlock was broken on 56 minutes when Stephen Husband’s 30-yard free kick found the net with the aid of a deflection but Diamonds youngster Liam Coogans quickly replied when he curled home a shot from 15 yards.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Home pressure in search of a winner paid off five minutes from time when Geggan volleyed home the winner from ten yards after a scramble to leave manager Jim Jefferies saying: “We seem to like making life hard for ourselves. We worked hard to get in front and, when we did, we lost concentration and allowed Airdrie straight back in.

“However, the belief and desire in this group of players is strong. They just kept on going and got the winner they deserved.”

Airdrie boss Jimmy Boyle, lamenting the loss of Geggan’s goal, said: “I was disappointed with our defending, as we had two or three chances to clear and never took any of them.”

Ramsdens Cup semi-finalists Stenhousemuir are level on points with the Fifers following their 4-3 win at Arbroath.

A goal by comeback man Bryan Hodge gave the Warriors the lead, but Lee Erwin levelled before the break.

Sean Higgins gave Stenhousemuir the lead again before John Gemmell netted an overhead kick. Sean Dickson’s deflected effort had the Warriors cruising at 4-1 but goals by Colin Hamilton and Alan Cook made for a tense ending.

Brechin City hit back to earn a 2-2 draw away to Ayr United after Graham Hay was dismissed for a crude foul and Ayr led at half-time through goals by Michael Moffat and Michael McGowan. Alan Trouten and Paul McLean hit back for the visitors in the second half, the latter scoring in injury time.

Stranraer won for the first time in the league this season when they defeated visitors East Fife 2-0 at Stair Park, through goals by Martin Grehan and Jamie Longworth.