Alloa relegated, Raith clinch play-off spot and Dunfermline record huge win on dramatic day in Championship

Alloa Athletic’s three-season stay in the Championship is over after the Wasps’ relegation was confirmed by a 2-1 defeat to Raith Rovers.

Alloa's Steven Hetherington can't hide his dejection after the Wasps' relegation was confirmed.

Peter Grant’s Wasps will play in League One next season after the Fife outfit battled back from a goal down at the Indodrill Stadium to secure a victory that confirms their own top-four place and a spot in the end-of-season promotion play-offs.

Alloa, who have won plaudits for their attacking, expansive football, led at the interval thanks to a fine strike by Kevin Cawley, but the match turned on its head in the 53rd minute when Alloa keeper Neil Parry brought down Gozie Ugwu in the penalty box. Referee Greg Aitken pointed to the spot and Ugwu converted.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Six minutes later, Dylan Tait netted what turned out to be the winner, converting from a Dan Armstrong.

John McGlynn’s men are now assured of a play-off berth with just two matches remaining and, if they defeat Dundee next Saturday at Dens Park, then they will finish second in the division.

Dunfermline moved back into fourth spot with a crucial 3-1 win against Queen of the South at East End Park.

Winger Dom Thomas was the star of the show, constantly tormenting the Doonhamers and he played a key part in the opening goal, Kevin O’Hara netting a rebound after Thomas’ shot had been saved.

Queens came back into the match and the Pars had to rely on two excellent saves from Owain Fon Williams, but on 82 minutes substitute Fraser Murray extended the hosts’ advantage.

James Maxwell ensured a nervy finish by scoring for Queens three minutes from time, but Ewan Henderson wrapped up the match for Dunfermline. They are two points ahead of fifth-placed Inverness, albeit having played a game more.

At the other end of the table, Arbroath thumped Ayr 4-0 at Gayfield to leap into seventh place. First-half goals from Ricky Little, Ben Williamson and Jack Hamilton gave them a near unassailable lead and a fourth from Dale Hilson ended any hopes of comeback.

The Red Lichties are now two points clear of eighth-placed Ayr and three clear of Morton in ninth, although the Cappielow side have a game in hand.