SWP League Cup final: Glasgow City 2-1 Hibs Ladies

HIBS just failed to end a four-year trophy drought, but forced Glasgow City to extra-time in an exciting SWP League Cup final at Ainslie Park last night. The Edinburgh side had the game in their gift with just 13 minutes of normal time left, but City found an equaliser before adding the winner early in the extra period.

Glasgows Joanne Love and Hibs Chloe Arthur battle for possession. Picture: SNS

City, with captain Leanne Ross on the bench, were hardly seen in the opening 30 minutes. Hibs had two great chances to take the lead even before striker Heather Richards put them ahead with a stunning goal midway through the half.

Chris Roberts’ side seized the initiative and a through ball left Lucy Graham with the option of lobbing City goalkeeper Lee Alexander inside the box – but she failed to hit the target.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Lizzie Arnot was causing Emma Black problems down the left but it was her corner from the other side which seemed to have given Hibs the lead. Abi Harrison fired in a header which came off the underside of the bar and out to safety.

Richards conjured her goal out of nowhere on 26 minutes. Or more precisely from just inside the City half as she spotted Alexander off her line and sent a long shot sailing over the keeper’s head and into the net. Hibs nearly doubled the lead with a fine passing move three minutes later. Graham, Richards and Arnot swapped passes before the latter forced Alexander to make a crucial low one handed save to keep the score at one.

City finally started to show why they have dominated Scottish women’s football and Jo Love nearly levelled five minutes after the restart with a 25-yard free-kick which hit the bar.

City’s pressure finally paid off in the 77th minute. Nicky Docherty sent in a low free-kick with Kerry Montgomery getting the touch which beat Jenna Fife.

The introduction of Ross in the second half made a big difference to City and it was from her free-kick three minutes into extra-time that Susan Fairlie scored at the far post.

Glasgow City: Alexander; Black, Jones (Cuthbert 77), McCulloch (McMurchie 118), Docherty; Montgomery, Love; Grant, O’Sullivan, Lauder (Ross 66, Rafferty 120); Fairlie.

Hibs: Fife; Brownlie, Murray, Hunter, Smith; Robertson; Harrison (Williamson 71), Graham, Arthur, Arnot; Richards (Tweedie 96) Referee: N Andrews

Attendance: 743