Scottish Premiership could be paused with Hibs top of the league after Celtic star breaks quarantine protocols - reports

Boli Bolingoli is reported to have gone to Spain and failed to self-isolate on return

Boli Bolingoli has thrown Scottish football into further controversy surrounding Covid-19. Picture: SNS

The Scottish Premiership could be paused two weeks into the new season with Hibs top of the league following what appears to be a serious breach of protocols.

Celtic star Boli Bolingoli is under investigation from the Scottish champions for going on holiday to Spain recently and not following the 14-day quarantine put in place, report the Scottish Sun.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

The defender was subsequently part of Neil Lennon’s squad for Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Kilmarnock at Rugby Park, the player coming off the bench in the closing stages.

It is understood Bolingoli failed to divulge the trip to Spain to the club and then didn’t self-isolate on return.

The incident has led to the Scottish Government issuing a strong statement as they “establish the facts” and warn they could put football on pause.

A spokesperson told the Scottish Sun: “The Scottish Government is aware of reports of a Celtic FC player having broken quarantine rules last week.

"We are currently in discussion with the club and football governing bodies to establish the facts.

“If confirmed as another serious incident within Scottish football, where protocols have been breached at the risk of wider public health, then the Scottish Government will have little choice but to consider whether a pause is now needed in the resumption of the game in Scotland.”

A full midweek round of fixtures are due to be played, starting with table-toppers Hibs’ visit to Dundee United this evening with a further five games taking place tomorrow evening, including Celtic's trip to St Mirren and Aberdeen’s clash with Hamilton.

The Dons were involved in their own Covid-19 controversy last week which resulted in their match with St Johnstone being postponed.

Two players tested positive for the virus with a total of eight players having to self-isolate after going out in Aberdeen city centre after the loss to Rangers on the opening day of the new season.

Professor Jason Leitch, the national clinical director, speaking to Go Radio Football Show, revealed the game against Accies is not yet confirmed to go ahead.

Leitch held a video conference meeting with managers and captains from the Premiership clubs in response to the Aberdeen incident.

He said: “It [the game] certainly is not confirmed. Everybody is hopeful. Everybody is hopeful that Aberdeen city will get through this outbreak and get out the other end of it. But we have some important decisions to make on Wednesday for the population at large.”

Read More

Read More
Rangers' £20m man, Scott Brown's Celtic's influence, Hibs' understated jewel, fa...