Arbroath 3 - 2 Hibernian: Steven Doris lands a double

Prodigal son Scott Allan marked his second return to Hibs with a stunning goal, but he couldn’t stop the Easter Road side going the same way as their capital rivals Hearts in slipping to defeat by Abroath.
Two goals by Steven Doris helped Arbroath to defeat Hibs. Picture: SNS.Two goals by Steven Doris helped Arbroath to defeat Hibs. Picture: SNS.
Two goals by Steven Doris helped Arbroath to defeat Hibs. Picture: SNS.

Hibs fans had mocked the Jambos after they were beaten by Dick Campbell’s outfit at the weekend, but those who travelled to Gayfield Park had the smiles wiped off their faces as Steven Doris, scorer of one of those goals a few days earlier, went one better in claiming a double this time.

Allan’s classy finish raised hopes of a comeback, but Greig Spence restored the Red Lichties’ two-goal cushion, squeezing the ball home from a tight angle after cashing in on a second blunder by Hibs goalkeeper Paddy Martin, before trialist South African striker Ryan Moon powered home a header from Stevie Mallan’s cross.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Head coach Paul Heckingbottom took 22 players to Gayfield Park for Hibs’ first pre-season friendly, the obvious intention being to give as many of them as possible game time, the starting line-up a mixture of the old and the new, the young and not so young.

New signings Adam Jackson and Christian Doidge were on from the first whistle as the Hibees dominated much of the first half, knocking the ball around but finding the Championship newcomers well-organised, preventing their visitors from getting a good look at goalkeeper Derek Gaston,

Doidge had a golden opportunity to get his Hibs career up and running when Tom O’Brien sent him tumbling. It was a penalty in referee Mike Roncone’s estimation, but the former Forest Green Rovers hitman’s effort from the spot was weak, giving Gaston the easiest of stops.

At the other end, Patrick Martin had been virtually idle, but against the run of play Arbroath took the lead, a long ball from Colin Hamilton finding Doris running into space and with the time to apply a composed finish.

Heckingbottom, as expected, rang the changes at half-time, only Martin and Paul Hanlon keeping their places, but within five minutes Hibs found themselves two down and rookie goalkeeper Martin had to take the blame. The youngster badly misjudged the bounce of the ball as it reared up in front of him, his error allowing Doris the simple task of knocking it into the empty net. As was the case with the opener, it was a sloppy goal for Hibs 
to concede.

Allan hauled one back for Hibs with a right-foot shot which whistled into the top corner of Gaston’s net, the goalkeeper then just managing to hold on to a trademark long-range effort by Mallan which dipped just in front of him before the sides traded those two late goals.