First Division: Partick Thistle fight to grab draw

Partick Thistle showed the resilience of champions on Saturday as they scored two late goals to draw 3-3 with Dunfermline and ensure that there was not a flat beginning to their title-winning party.

Redundant Par, Jordan McMillan, gave them the lead against his former club. But Dunfermline, who were looking for the win that would all but guarantee that they would stay in the First Division despite a 15-point penalty for their financial affairs, were the better side in the second half and substitute Ryan Wallace levelled just after the hour mark.

Andy Geggan put Dunfermline in front and Ryan Thomson looked to have sealed their third win in a row ten minutes from time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

That goal sparked Thistle back into life and captain for the day Chris Erskine netted from close range with six minutes left and he set up Steven Lawless to fire in an injury-time equaliser.

Firhill manager Alan Archibald said: “Our team spirit that has been strong all season kicked in again. We had played well in the first half but struggled in the second when they went for it as we were missing all our central midfielders due to injury.”

Dunfermline manager Jim Jefferies said: “A win would have seen us home and dry. However, the referee found a lot of injury time from somewhere. Beforehand a draw with the champions may have been viewed as a good result but I left Firhill with a sense of disappointment. We scored three but could have had more.

“We have shown character recently and will need to again in our last game of the season.”

Dumbarton boss Ian Murray spoke about climbing a mountain to survive when he took over at the Bet Butler Stadium in November with the Sons rock bottom on five points from 13 games and Saturday’s 3-2 win over Cowdenbeath took Murray to the summit.

The Fife outfit had opened the scoring through Craig Moore, but a fierce Scott Agnew drive and a Jim Lister header had Dumbarton in front before half-time.

Agnew’s penalty made it 3-1 before Kyle Miller pulled a goal back two minutes from time. However, it was too little and too late for Colin Cameron’s side.

Second-placed Morton went down 2-0 at home to a Hamilton side that made it five wins and a draw under interim manager Alex Neil.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Stevie May played a one-two with Ali Crawford before side-footing home in the first half and then he was perfectly placed at the back post to volley in the second ten minutes after the restart when Crawford’s corner was flicked on by Michael Devlin.

Raith Rovers remained unbeaten against Falkirk this season following their goalless draw at Stark’s Park. The Bairns’ Lyle Taylor went close in the first half with a header that Ross Laidlaw did well to save and the Kirkcaldy men’s best chance came right at the death when Lewis Vaughan hit an effort that came back off the woodwork.

Airdrie’s home games ended with a 2-0 defeat by Livingston who had Craig Barr to thank for heading them in front in the first half and Jesus Garcia Tena for firing in a free kick in the second.

In between the goals, the Lions’ Iain Russell had a penalty saved by Diamonds goalkeeper Kenny Arthur, who had ironically made his footballing debut before team-mate Jordan Allan was actually born.

The 14 years 199 days old striker became the youngest ever player to play in senior football in Scotland when he came on with seven minutes left.