Finnigan earns Dundee point at Falkirk

There was no Nigel Quashie in the Dundee line-up against hosts Falkirk, but they included former Bairn Carl Finnigan on their substitutes bench after he joined on loan from St Johnstone and his contribution was to prove vital in the 1-1 draw.

The home side’s Farid El Alagui broke the deadlock on 27 minutes after the Moroccan found himself in the perfect place a yard from goal after Willie Gibson had lofted the ball over the advancing Rab Douglas and a combination of Neil McGregor and the post kept Gibson’s effort out.

The game went from end to end in the second period, and, with just three minutes left, Finnigan collected a pass before turning and slotting past Michael McGovern to level. The striker’s debut goal denied his former side a share of the lead in the First Division after leaders Ross County’s game with Morton was called off in controversial circumstances.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Cappielow chairman Douglas Rae recently went public with his criticism of the SFL for re- arranging his side’s match in Dingwall for last night and his mood will have worsened when it was called off less than 45 minutes before kick-off.

Rae felt that asking his side to travel 200 miles for a midweek game in February was a gamble and he was proven correct as it was postponed due to a water-logged pitch by whistler Jeff Banks, who deputised for match official Craig Charleston after he had been delayed due to a road accident near Dunkeld.

Hamilton Accies continued Raith Rovers’ recent miserable spell when they defeated the Kirkcaldy side 2-1.

Accies’ popped up with the opener in first-half injury time when defender Martin Canning scored from inside after the six-yard box after Jon McShane had headed the ball into his path.

Brian Graham’s deflected free kick got Raith level 14 minutes into the second half, but Simon Mensing hit home the winner from close range just four minutes later.

Ayr United were winning at Firhill against Partick Thistle thanks to Keighan Parker’s first goal since joining from English side Fylde last month, but the Jags struck back to win 4-2.

Parker gave the Honest Men the lead after only four minutes when he swept home a cross from Adam Dodd, however Partick ended the first-half on top.

Kris Doolan turned that supremacy into goals in the second period as volleyed in an equaliser on 55minutes and converted a Chris Erskine cross nine minutes later.

Paul Cairney converted a penalty on 81 minutes to make it 3-1 with Michael McGowan pulling a goal back before Cairney netted a fourth.

Related topics: