FC Twente 0 - 2 Glasgow City: City Euro hopes alive

GOALS from captain Rachel Corsie and substitute Sarah Crilly ensured Glasgow City topped Group 8 and qualified for the last 32 of the Uefa Women’s Champions League for a third successive season.

The win was one of City’s best in Europe and stunned the home crowd of 2,750 who had expected to see BeNe League champions FC Twente, who also won their opening two games handsomely, take over leadership of the group.

Instead Corsie celebrated her return from a long-term knee injury by heading home a Leanne Ross free-kick six minutes from the interval. Then Crilly, who had scored four goals in the previous two matches, rubbed it in with her fifth of the qualifying tournament a few minutes after coming on.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Corsie was stretchered off when Scotland lost their Euro 2013 play-off to Spain last October, and was delighted with her club’s performance and the goal in only her second start since that night in Madrid.

“I’ve worked really hard to get back over the last nine months and there have been some low points,” she admitted. “It was great to get back in time for this – and getting on the scoresheet with the team going through gives me an extra lift.

“We have a little bit of class that we didn’t have last year and we deserve to be in the last 32.”

City head coach Eddie Wolecki Black added: “Tactically the team performed magnificently. It’s a proud day, not just for Glasgow City, but Scotland.”

As he had predicted before kick-off, the glut of goals by both sides in their first two matches – 36 without reply – came to an end with both needing to tread carefully if they were to qualify for the knock-out stages.

There was little goalmouth action of note until Corsie put City ahead in the 39th minute. They nearly added a second just before the interval, but Sari Van Veenendaal saved her side by turning Sue Lappin’s header round the post.

Twente threatened to equalise near the end, but Crilly shot home in injury-time to crown an outstanding evening’s work.