44 pictures showing Scotland's lost and forgotten football grounds

A look at 13 lost Scottish football grounds, from Annfield to Shawfield, told through archive pictures

Terracing and barriers are still visible at Cathkin Park, former home of Third Lanark
Terracing and barriers are still visible at Cathkin Park, former home of Third Lanark

Some have been replaced by housing developments, others by supermarkets - but some linger on, reclaimed by nature or left to the elements. Crumbling terraces, rusting barriers or a solitary turnstile are all that remain in some cases. From Rutherglen to Falkirk via Edinburgh and Hamilton, here are 13 of Scotland's lost football stadiums

Home of the Binos from 1946-1993. Sold to, and rented from the Council in the early 80s. Demolished for housing in 1993 as Stirling moved to Forthbank

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Bayview was home to East Fife from their formation in 1903 until 1998
The ground's record attendance of 22,515 came against Raith Rovers in 1948 - ten years after the Fifers' Scottish Cup win
The 1970s saw the fortunes of the club and the stadium decline. The ground was sold to developers and is now a housing estate
Dumbarton had played there since 1879, sharing the first Scottish League Championship with Rangers before becoming outright champions the next season
When it closed in 2000, Boghead was the oldest stadium in Scotland in continuous use.
A record crowd of 18,001 took in a Scottish Cup tie against Raith Rovers in 1957 but the ground had fallen into disrepair by the time Dumbarton moved in 2000
Boghead appeared in the film A Shot At Glory as the home of fictional Kilnockie FC. Somewhat ironically, the film crew had to make improvements to the ground for filming
The antiquated Brockville, home of Falkirk from 1885-2003, cost the club a number of promotions to the top flight due to facilities not meeting league requirements
Brockville was demolished in 2003, having remained largely unchanged for years. The site was sold to supermarket chain Morrisons; an old Brockville turnstile can be seen outside the supermarket
The terraced stands were one of the main reasons for Falkirk's repeated failure to win promotion to the top flight
Falkirk moved to a new purpose-built stadium in the Westfield area of the town, with the final match at Brockville a 3-2 defeat to Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Airdrie ended their 102-year stay at Broomfield Park when they sold the site to supermarket chain Safeway in 1994
Falkirk's John Lambie shields the ball from Airdrie opponent Drew Jarvie during a 1970 clash at Broomfield Park
Broomfield was built in a narrow town hollow, with trees hanging over the roof of the stand creating a claustrophobic atmosphere that intimidated visiting teams
Airdrie sold Broomfield in 1994, playing at Broadwood before moving to the brand new Shyberry Excelsior Stadium in 1998
Queen's Park originally played here, renting the ground from 1884 until 1903, but it was Third Lanark's home from 1903 until 1967, when the club went bankrupt
Perhaps the most famous of Scotlands lost football grounds, the remains of Third Lanark's stadium still exist in Cathkin municipal park in Glasgow
The terracing can still be seen in the park today, and in recent years a reformed Third Lanark has started playing at the venue, competing in the amateur leagues
Just six years before going bankrupt, Third Lanark secured third in the Scottish top flight with a 6-1 win over Hibs also taking them to 100 goals for the season
Home of Lowland League side Spartans (1976- 2009), City Park was also home to the original Edinburgh City (1935-1955), Ferranti Thistle (1969-1974) and Craigroyston
Originally a flat park, embankments were built up around the pitch and a grandstand was added on one side
Spartans left in 2009, moving a short way down the road to Ainslie Park where they currently play. City Park was sold for housing despite fierce opposition from locals
Spartans enjoyed a number of "giantkilling" cup wins at City Park, seeing off Berwick Rangers, Queen's Park and Alloa Athletic in the mid-2000s.
Douglas Park was constructed in 1888, and was home to Hamilton Academical until 1994, when the site was sold to make way for a Sainsburys supermarket
As Hamilton prepared for a seven-year stint without a home, Auchinleck Talbot bought the main stand for 30,000 and the turnstiles were sold to Falkirk
Hamilton held onto the original Douglas Park floodlights, however. They didn't move into their new home, New Douglas Park, until 2011
Between 1994 and 2011, Accies ground-shared with Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill and Partick Thistle at Firhill
From 1921-2008, with a brief hiatus in 1964, East Stirlingshire played at Firs Park, built on the site of an old factory after a railway was built across the previous ground
In 1964 the board agreed to merge with Clydebank Juniors. The new club would play in Clydebank. But fans challenged the merger and football returned to Firs Park in 1965
Unfortunately, the floodlights and a stand roof had been relocated to Kilbowie and East Stirlingshire had to replace the enclosure covering and buy new floodlights
The club left Firs Park in 2008, partly due to costs of renovations to meet SFA regulations. The last competitive fixture was a 3-1 home win against Montrose
Kilbowie was built in 1939 for Clydebank Juniors who joined the football league in 1966. Clydebank played there until 1996.
Kilbowie was sold in 1997 as the club struggled. Groundshare deals were agreed but plans for a new ground were not approved and in 2002 the club entered administration
In 1977 a covered stand with seats was built, and wooden bench seating added to the ground, meaning Kilbowie was technically the first all-seater stadium in the UK
Clydebank, once sponsored by band Wet Wet Wet, reformed as a junior club and now plays at Holm Park in Yoker. Kilbowie became a retail scheme and restaurants
Situated on the site of a former brickworks (and, apparently, a favourite spot for circuses) Love Street became St Mirrens fifth home in 1894.
With Glasgow Airport nearby, floodlight plans had to get approval from the Ministry of Aviation, Air Ministry and the Admiralty, so St Mirren ended up with roof-line lights and two small pylons
Despite the approval, some pilots complained the ground confused their approach, so there was an 8-month black-out until Love Street could be added to aviation charts
Rivals Morton played home matches at Love Street in 1949. St Mirrens last match at Love Street was against Motherwell in January 2009 before the Buddies moved to a new ground
St Johnstone's home from 1924-1989, Muirton at one stage had the largest playing surface of any UK league ground, and also hosted hockey, Highland Games, cattle sales and donkey races
With Saints unable to afford renovations in the 1980s, Asda bought the site and funded construction of a new all-seater stadium - McDiarmid Park - on the outskirts of Perth
Still a sporting venue, Shawfield is Scotlands only National Greyhound Racing Track still in use; previous footballing tenants Clyde having left in 1986.
Clyde left amid plans to redevelop the stadium but the refurb never happened and they settled at Broadwood. Ramshackle terraces can still be seen at Shawfield today