Dunfermline turn on the style in second-half romp

Dunfermline manager Allan Johnston was 'pleased.' Picture: SNS GroupDunfermline manager Allan Johnston was 'pleased.' Picture: SNS Group
Dunfermline manager Allan Johnston was 'pleased.' Picture: SNS Group
Dunfermline did their own version of Back to the Future as they secured their first home league win over Forfar since the 1980s. The Pars, who won 4-0, defeated the Loons for their first East End Park success since November 1988 and they will be hoping that history repeats itself as they ended that season as title winners.

David Hopkirk set Allan Johnston’s side on their way when he was perfectly placed to tuck home an unselfish Michael Moffat pass after just eight minutes.

The home fans had to be patient in their wait for the second as it did not come until just after the hour mark when Forfar goalkeeper Rab Douglas failed to hold an Andy Geggan cross and Joe Cardle tapped home.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ryan Wallace came off the bench with 16 minutes left and he completed the scoring with a double. Johnston said: “We played well throughout but our second half display was excellent. We could have scored more but I have to be pleased that we put on a performance, scored three goals, kept a clean sheet and stayed in top spot.”

Forfar assistant manager Ian Campbell said: “We had chances to cancel out their early goal but never took them and we knew Dunfermline would come at us in the second half. They deserved their victory. We are not on a great run just now but we will bounce back.”

Ayr continue to sit a point behind Dunfermline after they left Stenhousemuir with a 1-0 win. Ross Caldwell hit the only goal of the game on nine minutes when he curled home a Jordan Preston pass. The Honest Men survived a second-half scare when Robbie Crawford tripped Jon Robertson in the box but former Warrior Greg Fleming kept out Colin Mc­Menamin’s spot-kick. Robertson’s day was to end in further disappointment as he was dismissed for a foul on Crawford.

Albion Rovers’ fine season continued as they moved up to third place after their 1-0 success at Brechin City. Paul Willis hit the only goal when he headed in a Josh Mullin cross midway through the first half with the Coatbridge side surviving an onslaught in the second half.

Peterhead won for the first time in the league since the end of August when they saw off Airdrie 2-0 at Balmoor. Rory McAllister opened the scoring three minutes from half-time when he burst through the Diamonds defence and shot past Neil Parry. Substitute Leighton McIntosh secured the Blue Toon’s success when he turned a loose ball home ten minutes from the final whistle.

Cowdenbeath secured their first away win of the season in fine style as they defeated Stranraer 3-0. Brad Donaldson nodded home in the first half with Kyle Miller sweeping in the second just before the hour. Robbie Buchanan scored the third.

Related topics: