Dundee 0-1 Aberdeen: Dons show no ill effects of McInnes saga

Derek McInnes' decision to stay as Aberdeen boss brought immediate dividends as Scott McKenna scored the only goal of the game at Dundee.

Scott McKenna celebrates scoring the only goal of the game - his first for Aberdeen. Picture: SNS Group
Scott McKenna celebrates scoring the only goal of the game - his first for Aberdeen. Picture: SNS Group

The Dons manager missed two days training during the week as he talked with chairman Stewart Milne about the prospect of joining Rangers before reiterating his commitment to the club.

McInnes was rewarded for his loyalty in the 48th minute when 21-year-old defender McKenna scored his first Aberdeen goal when he flicked in a Kenny McLean cross.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

The goal was ultimately enough to take the Pittodrie side above Rangers into second place in the Ladbrokes Premiership.

Neil McCann’s side had come closest to scoring before they conceded but found Aberdeen keeper Joe Lewis in good form.

In freezing conditions, the match opened up from the first whistle.

Dons skipper Graeme Shinnie flashed a drive from 20 yards past the post in the third minute before Dundee striker Faissal El Bakhtaoui’s effort from similar distance was held by Lewis.

The Pittodrie keeper did even better in the 14th minute when he blocked a Roarie Deacon drive from close range, after he had been sent through on goal by a Sofien Moussa head flick.

In the 28th minute Ryan Christie, back from suspension, sped into the Dundee penalty area but his left-footed drive from 14 yards flew over.

The Taysiders again threatened and Lewis did brilliantly to tip Deacon’s powerful drive over the bar, with the Granite City men defending the corner.

However, it was Dons who got themselves ahead three minutes after the break when Christie’s free-kick from the left was cleared out to McLean and when he returned the ball back into the box McKenna out-muscled Dundee defender Jack Hendry to steer the ball into the corner of the net from 12 yards.

The Dens Park side shook off their disappointment and responded positively.

In the 57th minute Lewis was again called into action to save a Moussa header from a Jon Aurtenetxe corner and the Taysiders stepped up their efforts.

However, Aberdeen were also pushing forward for the second.

Another Shinnie shot from 14 yards was saved by Dundee keeper Elliott Parish before some nervy final moments around the Aberdeen penalty area preceded the final whistle, which confirmed three points for the Dons to end a good week for the visitors on and off the park.